Tie Rods and Ball Joints

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, trucks getting a some new tires this month but I was told by a shop that my ball joints and tie rods are bad so I can't get an alignment. What ball joints should I use? And tie rid ends? At my Local Autozone I can get duralast ones or Rare Parts. Anyone else have any experience doing either? I have the independent front suspension not a straight axle. Also torque specs would be appreciated.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Get the Duralasts. They are just rebranded MOOGs.

Upper balljoint - 85-110 ft. lbs.
Lower balljoint - 95-110 ft. lbs.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time for a D60 swap. Lots of time and money to rebuild and align a D50 and you really should go through everything. Regardless. In a pinch I put Pep Boys tie rod ends on my D60 as one was about to come apart, they were only place that had them in stock, and I was leaving for a 3 week vaca in a day or two. One wouldn't take grease, back home now and need to pull it off, swap under warranty, and align it again. Wasted time. Would have preferred Moog or another good name brand but I went with the only stuff in stock at the local stores.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea I got it a couple weeks ago, truck starts a lot better, thank you again.
I swear I sent you a PM about it when I installed it.. No more smoke coming off the starter lol

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time for a D60 swap. Lots of time and money to rebuild and align a D50 and you really should go through everything. Regardless. In a pinch I put Pep Boys tie rod ends on my D60 as one was about to come apart, they were only place that had them in stock, and I was leaving for a 3 week vaca in a day or two. One wouldn't take grease, back home now and need to pull it off, swap under warranty, and align it again. Wasted time. Would have preferred Moog or another good name brand but I went with the only stuff in stock at the local stores.
I would love to do that, it's just because off the alignment I need new tires and those alone are $1600

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But hey if anyone here has one for sale lemme know, not too many at my local junkyard so Id have to venture out to other sources

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get prepared, changing balljoints on these trucks is not a small job. You have to start out at the 4x4 hub and work your way in, taking the whole thing apart. I would check the u-joints on the front axles and the splined slip joint on the pass side axle also. You don't want to do this again for awhile.

You will need a ball-joint press, the Harbor Freight unit works ok for this. Did I say this was a pain? Check around some local shops, I bet they want at least $800 to do this job.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't know, maybe somebody had to replace the front axle and put one of those stupid IFS systems in or something. All I know is for sure it's an F-350 and it has this stupid setup and I want it gone lol

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Have you deciphered the VIN code? Someone could have replaced fenders with ones from another truck, or just rebadged it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I would buy moog off ebay. They're cheap and actually Moog. I've actually gotten duralast that wasn't moog before and had to replace it. You'll need the ball joint removal tool also and an air ratchet.

I'm in orlando. If you want some help sometime or need to borrow tools i might be able to help out. I've got the really nice ball joint tool set and some air tools.

I've only worked on my 2 wheel drive, so not sure how exactly the same it is, but i replaced alot of other stuff while i had it out. Like the bearings and brakes and all seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online