TIE-ROD REPLACEMENT ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my complete steering rod system ordered and on the way.

For a driveway mechanic's replacement job, do I need a special tool to get the old stuff off my truck ??

Or, can I get by with knocking them loose with a hammer ??

I intend to get the old out and assemble the new to the same length.

What is a good accurate measurement point to use ??

Will the Alemites be centered, such that I can measure from them ??

Any advice will be appreciated.

It has been years since I have done this and I am a little rusty.

Thanks.

RedTruck

Reaction score
A hammer is really going to be a PITA. At the very least you need a pickle fork. The best would be a ball joint puller. The pickle fork tends to wreck your old rubber boots, that's why a ball joint puller is the best in my opinion.

My advice for alignment would be to get it as close as you can to original, then drive it to a good reputable alignment shop (not as easy to find as one thinks!!) and have them align it.

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count the turns when you take the old one off, and screw the new one on the same number of turns. Hopefully replace kind with kind (brand with brand).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best would be a ball joint puller.
The pickle fork tends to wreck your old rubber boots, that's why a ball joint puller is the best in my opinion.
Paul

Could someone post a picture of the ball-joint puller tool that I will need for this operation ??

Thanks.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you getting all new front steering joints they should come with new boots. I did my front suspension month or so ago and just used a pickle fork. Quick and cheap to buy. About the alignment just take it and get it aligned. Cheaper than replacing tires.!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online