Ticking coming from exhaust...?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

So I was working on the truck today trying to finish getting it ready to drive. I fired it up and let it run for a bit and ever since I put this engine in the truck, it sounded like it had an exhaust leak at the crossover pipe which I wasnt worried about... (a slight ticking noise)

Anyways, tonight I hung some exhaust and the ticking followed the exhaust back (All Ive had on it for the last 2 weeks is the Y pipe... not been driving it).

So the ticking is definitely coming through the exhaust. First thought that came to my mind was great... its got a valve issue. I cracked all of the injectors one by one and they all made a difference in how the engine ran but the tick was still there with each one.

Now the weird part...

I snapped the throttle hard and when it idled back down, the tick was gone. Snapped the throttle open again and it came back but was quieter. Snapped it open again and it was just as loud as when it started. It comes and goes as it pleases.

Oil pressure is good... temperature is in check. No signs of a head gasket issue or anything like that. When I had the engine out and the valve covers off, everything was clean and nothing was out of the ordinary. Engine starts fast and runs very good with no blow by from the fill cap when running.

Normally, I would say valve issue... however with the sound changing like it is... perhaps its just a bit of carbon keeping the valve from sealing as it should? The engine thats in the truck now had 130-160k on it when pulled and it had been sitting for a year or so under cover.

I haven't had the truck on the road yet with this engine in it and if its a major issue, I'm going to be stuck.

Ideas? Theories?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is another similar thread recentley.
Put it together and get it hot with a load on and see if it clears up( sitting makes stuff sticky)
Of coures do verify everything is set to spec, timing, fuel pressure,pop test, ect.
Your sig line is a chebby????
So hows about filling us in on yer ford?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. I never updated the signature but I have a LONG build thread going... lol

Truck is a '90 F350 Crew 4x4 5 spd. I bought the truck with a starting issue.. after it was all said and done, ended up having a pushrod jammed through a lifter.

I had this engine sitting from another project. I resealed everything on it while it was out of the truck. New clutch/flywheel, glow plugs, gp harness, rebuilt oil cooler, etc..etc..etc..

Anyways, I got it in the truck a few weeks back and have been gradually getting it road worthy. Ive had the Y pipe on it and thats it. Been working on everything else but since I put it in, its sounded like it had an exhaust leak at the manifold/y pipe connections... (a tick tick tick at idle) Tonight I hung 5' of 4" trying to track down the ticking and the noise traveled with the exhaust exit. Its a very distinct tapping sound. When the engine is off idle.. say 1k rpm, the sound seems to go away. Sometimes the engine can be revved hard and the noise will change (either get quieter or go away).

The engine seems to run really well. Idles really smooth (even when ticking). No smoke/haze.. no blow by. Very snappy throttle response.

Everything I'm reading is pointing to valve guides and if that's the case.. not really sure what I'll do. I can do the work no problem... but this truck has become a big money pit and its getting old fast.

I'll see if I can video it and post it up in a bit.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a video...

It had been sitting for an hour or so. You can hear it pretty distinctly. By the end of the video, its very faint.. almost gone.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v75/AcIdBuRn52383/F350%20Crew/VID_20160312_191049086_zpsthecmbbm.mp4

The whole time its ticking/running, its idling glass smooth. No shake to the engine at all... 0 blowby from the oil fill cap.

Uhh yeah, I wouldn't drive that truck. Sounds like a valve guide chuff to me. Might be time to dig into engine before something catastrophic happens.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Where in IN are you? There was a guy on Ft Wayne craigslist selling a pair of rebuilt 7.3 heads from Harts machine in OH for a price of $100. I have his # saved, but I've never called.

His ad has been running off and on for close to a year. I tried and tried to find his ad this past summer when I had to get my heads rebuilt, but couldn't find it. He reposted some time this fall and I saved it then. PM me if you want the phone number.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would it go away and come back if thats the case?

I can rev it up and it'll go away and not come back until I rev the engine hard again...

Also, if that were the case... wouldn't it have a miss... even a slight one due to compression loss? Wouldn't it haze slightly or something?

I really dont want to hear that as I dont have the coin to spend on it... just spent $300 for a radiator that is still in the mail to fix a coolant leak so I could finally drive it and see if there are any other issues... Now you are thinking the top end needs a rebuild?? Not what I wanted to hear...:puke:

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors can cause funny noises. Generally more of a knock rather than a tick. I get one every once in awhile. Run some diesel kleen or some other fuel system cleaner/lubricator and it goes away for awhile.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would it go away and come back if thats the case?

I can rev it up and it'll go away and not come back until I rev the engine hard again...

Also, if that were the case... wouldn't it have a miss... even a slight one due to compression loss? Wouldn't it haze slightly or something?

I really dont want to hear that as I dont have the coin to spend on it... just spent $300 for a radiator that is still in the mail to fix a coolant leak so I could finally drive it and see if there are any other issues... Now you are thinking the top end needs a rebuild?? Not what I wanted to hear...:puke:

Probably the valve rotating in the guide and sometimes it's closing square and sometimes it's not. From the times I've seen threads on this, that sounds like an exhaust chuff to me to. Should be able to pull the valve covers and check it though right?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm getting at.

It seems to only change if I blip the throttle just right. If it's not making the noise and I just let it run... It doesn't seem to change. Same goes for if it's tapping.. Sound only changes when I rev the engine.

Also, there is no huff or chugging sound. Just the tick. There doesn't appear to be any excess noise from the engine at all other then the tapping from the exhaust. No valve train noise... No odd knocks or rattles... No odd running.

If it is the guides or valves, what is the trick to being certain that's the cause?