Throttle return spring

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody got a part number for a throttle return spring? I put some generic ones on there but even with too springs its too soft for my liking.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody got a part number for a throttle return spring? I put some generic ones on there but even with too springs its too soft for my liking.

By chance did you look in the parts list?

IMHO....excess throttle return spring pressure can and will wear throttle shafts, regardless of carb or IP...JM2CW....I'd rather have a soft spring..sufficient for the purpose of closing the throttle but not a lot more than that...

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The factory throttle return spring is actually a double spring. Its built that way for safety. If one breaks you have another backing it up. If you were in an acident thats something the other guys insurance is sure to look at... Its a way they can get out of paying for what you did...

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
What condition is your throttle cable/ spring in? I have to say that after replacing mine, it's almost too stiff and it's a lot snappier then those wimpy return springs ever made it. I used the one from Advance, it's a perfect OEM match except that the spring is a bit beefier. I was thinking about taking one or both of the return ones off to compensate, actually.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't check to see if it was in the parts list. I'll take a look. I've looked at it before but for some reason didn't think it would be on there. Sorry about that.

*edit* i looked in the parts bin can't seem to find anything. Can you point me in the right direction?

So you say it can wear the shaft. Thats interesting. I have two springs on it right now. Does it leak if the shaft get too worn?

I'm pretty sure my throttle cable is really old. The red plastic under the spring is broken in some places. I figure it hasn't been replaced on the truck yet.