Threw another belt

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well threw another Alternator belt, this this time it shredded/ The belt was only about 1 year old, but I dont put very many miles on my truck. Ot was a Gates Belt. A friend of mine ( mechanic ) said to find a narrower with a deeper V to go farther into the pulley, and maybe find a heavier duty belt, like off of some machinery or something like that. Anybody got any ideas, what do yall use.

dman91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First things first lay some string into the pulleys to make sure they are aligned. When belts shred it is usually because misalignment caused the belt to roll over onto its back. If you hold some string tight on the pulleys you should be able to see it. If not then try carquest, they have any belt you could possibly want.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had trouble with ambulances shreading belts to the alternator, had to change the pulley to solve the problem. I agree it could be alignment too.:dunno

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Alt Belt Idler Pulley

See the link in my "Signature" for photo. Autozone part # 45954 and get a bolt 3/8"-16 x 1-1/2" hex flanged cap screw. The pulley cannot be larger than 4" OD.
Just remove the bolt from water pump and replace it with a 3/8"-16 x 1-1/2" bolt. Find a bolt with threads all the way to the head. Then get a 3/8" -16 Heli-Coil, use a Dremel tool to cut off the tang. Then thread the Heli-Coil onto the bolt all the way to the head of the bolt. Heli-Coil is to take up the slop in the pulley hole. Use flat washers to space the pulley out to line up with the belt. Belt still flops some, but at high rpm it smooths out a lot. It takes much longer to round up the parts than to install. Nothing needs to be removed or loosened except the water pump bolt. Have fun. OkieGringo

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Ok, then get a BIG ASS crescent w(r)ench:backoff , and use the 1" knob on top of the alternator to tighten the crap outta the belt:dunno . cookoo Okiegringo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey baja-
how about posting the pic here in the "vBpicgallery" some of us here have banned Ip's over at STD...cookoo

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the photos from www.webshots.com to go into my "signature". The original photos were on a CD but someone has overwritten them-cuss . The ones on my laptop are gone when it went 'belly-up'-cuss -cuss -cuss . Friggin' "Murphy Factor". Do I need "permission" to write up a "Tech Article" on it?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lost alternator belts numerous times. They were all Gates belts. I installed a Dayco belt and haven't thrown a belt yet, That was about 2 years ago and the same belt is still on it. When I kept throwing belts made by gates, I emailed them. They responded that when the engine was built there was a vibration in it. I replied to them yes it's called a diesel and all diesel engines vibrate.

Try Dayco and see how that works for you. By the way Dayco makes a diesel rated belt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem with Baja's mod is it would play havoc with anybody who goes to time that engine. It would probably have to be removed temporarily.

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lost alternator belts numerous times. They were all Gates belts. I installed a Dayco belt and haven't thrown a belt yet, That was about 2 years ago and the same belt is still on it. When I kept throwing belts made by gates, I emailed them. They responded that when the engine was built there was a vibration in it. I replied to them yes it's called a diesel and all diesel engines vibrate.

Try Dayco and see how that works for you. By the way Dayco makes a diesel rated belt.

Thanks for the info. I have been fighting this for some time. Know where to DAYCO belts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online