Thoughts on ether.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the issues of the 6.9 GP system I am surprised someone has not adapted a tractors ether ignition system on to one of these trucks. Like said earlier. a small can will last a LONG time if done properly

Check my post. I know of people who have done it, and I have thought of it even though my truck starts easily enough.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wouldnt it boil out of the fuel?

That is my thoughts.

I can't see genuine ether staying around for more than a couple minutes before evaporating and disipating into the elements.

Surely, that magic liquid starting lotion that he is pouring into the tanks is something besides ether. :dunno

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 93 IDIt was a bottle baby. redid the GP system twice, and gave up on throwing any more money at THAT waste of time, and fed him a loving shot of "the juice" daily.

my current IDI, well, I didn't even hook the plugs up. Its a bottle baby. Only a pain in the ass when I have 6 starts in 12 hours with a small amount of run time apiece. However if the water temp gauge registers at ALL, 110 degrees for example, she cranks over and fires with no aid.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my 93 IDIt was a bottle baby. redid the GP system twice, and gave up on throwing any more money at THAT waste of time, and fed him a loving shot of "the juice" daily.

my current IDI, well, I didn't even hook the plugs up. Its a bottle baby. Only a pain in the ass when I have 6 starts in 12 hours with a small amount of run time apiece. However if the water temp gauge registers at ALL, 110 degrees for example, she cranks over and fires with no aid.

There is no such thing as addicted to either, or a "BOTTLE BABY" if you fix the glow plugs and have them working properly they will crank just fine, my engine spent 5 years being started daily on either by my father, it then sat around 10 years untouched, then i needed an engine so i got dads old truck out pulled the engine out fired it right up on either, i used either around 6 months, now i have only 6 glow plugs in the engine, and it fires up every morning on just those 6 glowplugs! yep she is certanly addicted to ether

Black dawg

Reaction score
one of the ether start systems would be super bad ass. I wonder if you can adjust the amount of ether.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as addicted to either, or a "BOTTLE BABY" if you fix the glow plugs and have them working properly they will crank just fine, my engine spent 5 years being started daily on either by my father, it then sat around 10 years untouched, then i needed an engine so i got dads old truck out pulled the engine out fired it right up on either, i used either around 6 months, now i have only 6 glow plugs in the engine, and it fires up every morning on just those 6 glowplugs! yep she is certanly addicted to ether

You're right. Trucks are inanimate objects and incapable of addictions, physical or psychological.

Lemme type that twice w/o my typical light hearted facetiousness:

When I bought my 93, the glow plug system was inop. So I spent $100 on Autolites, give or take, and $120 on a relay from Navistar. Brand new truck for 3 weeks, maybe two, then a bit5ch again. SO I ohmed all the Glow Plugs.
2 ohms IIRC. So I bought a new controller from CSK or Navistar can't remeber which, and installed that.

Now we are in the system $350 and we start like brand new again. Shortly there after, I lost my GP system again. At that point, I re ohmed said Autolites, and found them to be 2 ohms IIRC, and disconnected them said Fawk It, and started the truck off Ether. I could have purchased over 100 cans for the money I wasted on the fawking GP system, and it was too cold out to spend hours under the hood chasing this bad ground, or that one, it has to be more serious of an issue than an inop gp system to get to work on the truck in the FAWKING winter... Gawd I hate winter.

So your right, there was a mechanical fail, and a Mechanic's fail.

Instead of the above soap opera, I chose to use the word addicted.

89% of the reason for the Ram Air it is getting is to avoid having to pop the hood every time I fire it cold on the current truck.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of all the problems you had, Clydesdale...not to sound like a jack@$$, but with the right parts for the right job, I think you would have been spared half that price.

Not to start into a glow plug debate again...but THROW OUT THOSE AUTOLITES! My truck fired better off two 18 year old Beru plugs than it EVER did with 6 Autolites. I don't care what the meter says, you are doing no favors by keeping those pieces of junk.

Also, a tip on that controller. Usually the starter relay that is built into the controller is the part fails. If you ever decide to get into the starting system again and have controller problems, put $20 into a starter relay and swap it onto the controller rather than buy a new one. I wish I had known that detail when I put $220 into a controller from Ford...

Before with the autolites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjOMsKZMYBw

After with $80 into brand new Beru plugs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW0bKyvmoO0

What more proof do you need? In fact, at a measly 21*F this morning, the truck fired like it was a warm summer day after sitting for 3 weeks. Took about 20 seconds for the oil pressure to come up, but it spun over great with the 15w-40.

Who needs either when you can use the system that the truck was designed for? ;Really

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You're right. Trucks are inanimate objects and incapable of addictions, physical or psychological.

Lemme type that twice w/o my typical light hearted facetiousness:

When I bought my 93, the glow plug system was inop. So I spent $100 on Autolites, give or take, and $120 on a relay from Navistar. Brand new truck for 3 weeks, maybe two, then a bit5ch again. SO I ohmed all the Glow Plugs.
2 ohms IIRC. So I bought a new controller from CSK or Navistar can't remeber which, and installed that.

Now we are in the system $350 and we start like brand new again. Shortly there after, I lost my GP system again. At that point, I re ohmed said Autolites, and found them to be 2 ohms IIRC, and disconnected them said Fawk It, and started the truck off Ether. I could have purchased over 100 cans for the money I wasted on the fawking GP system, and it was too cold out to spend hours under the hood chasing this bad ground, or that one, it has to be more serious of an issue than an inop gp system to get to work on the truck in the FAWKING winter... Gawd I hate winter.

So your right, there was a mechanical fail, and a Mechanic's fail.

Instead of the above soap opera, I chose to use the word addicted.

89% of the reason for the Ram Air it is getting is to avoid having to pop the hood every time I fire it cold on the current truck.

The reason you had starting problems sir is because you use the junky autolite glow plugs, use the proper parts and it will be fine

FordGuy100

Reaction score
wouldnt it boil out of the fuel?

Thats what I was thinking....

Diethyl Ether Boiling point: 35*C
Propane Boiling point: -42*C
Butane Boiling point: -.5*C

So the ether part part in theory should be fine to stay in the fuel, its the other fuels, propane, butane, ethane, that will boil off (to become their gaseous form).

I always thought it would be cool to go to norther Canada in -50*C temperature and pour out propane, it would be a liquid, I think thats neat LOL.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with either is that you end up with highly unregulated and often dangrous timing advance. It is not GOOD for your engine. There is no doubt about that. Weather you can get away with using it for years on end is another issue, but oil presure is nill when cranking, and this has to accelerate wear.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes either is a must do thing but... The smallest amount is all that should ever be used. I have tried to start two idi motors with either. One motor had so much either being sprayed directly into the turbo intake it was wet and dripping... No fire and no smoke... It was almost like the intake was plugged up and not sucking air... The turbo was spinning...:dunno The other motor almost the same thing.... Turbo and no smoke and no fire.... Both motors didn't have a working glow plug system.... I still have no idea why those motors wouldn't fire.... About a glow system that wont work... The best place to check it is the main engine wireing harness plug. The two yellow wires on the end of it usually get corrosion on them. The it heats up the plastic plug... then it melts. A good place for an electrical fire under the hood. After a start check this plug... See if it feels hot or you see some melted plastic... then replace the feed wire to the glow plug controller.... After its wired directly you will never have a power issue at the controller again. I did this and several others with great results. Large speaker wire seems to work great... It has plenty of current carrying wires in it... Solder on the heavy lugs and its done....