Thoughts on ether.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the hardware store today getting what I needed to make a new fuel pick-up for my tanks. While I was talking to the clerk in the plumbing section he told me that he also had a 86 F250 6.9. As we were talking He told me that when his glow plugs went out that he started mixing liquid ether with each and every tank of fuel and has never had a starting problem, and the truck runs great. I then asked him if he had blown a head gasket yet. Then he asked me if I wanted to buy it, only 110,000 miles. He would precipitate out a large can of starting fluid and use half in each fill up. I've heard of a lot of different things that people do for different reasons, but this is a first for me.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont like using it, but I always have a can with me. Its one of those last ditch effort type of deals. Like in the movie "the day after tommorow," where it gets super cold, wouldnt even try to start with glow plugs, ether all the way.

Also, ether is probably the best thing to get oil marks off concrete. Spray it on, wipe off the mark.

As far as mixing it in the tank....I dont know. If it actually effects the fuel enough to make for easy starts, I would say the motor wont last long. Thats just what I think though.

Starting fluid has hydrocarbons in the form of propane, butane, and pentane (C3H8, C4H10, C5H12 respectivly), mixed with a generous amount of diethyl ether (formula looks like this: CH3CH2-O-CH2CH3, the lone oxygen making it the ether part). Per my lab book, ethers of all sorts are extremly flammable, and react with oxygen to form explosive peroxides.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
used intelligently and sparingly, ether/starting fluid will not harm a diesel.
problem is sparingly is a term that has differing quantitative measures from differing people. As long as you know in general terms that it can ruin a motor if used excessively, it's your motor, your wallet.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine ether poured into the tank being good for the fuel system...IIRC ether basically acts as a solvent, which means it won't do the rubber fittings (seals on the IP, for example) any favors. Other than thinning out the fuel a bit and effectively increasing the cetane rating, I don't see how it'll really be beneficial...I think you'd be better off running a "conventional" diesel additive.

As to the age-old argument of whether to spray ether into the intake...IMHO it's okay as long as you a) use it sparingly (i.e. a 0.5 second burst into the air intake before the air cleaner) and b) disable the glow plugs. I ran my truck for about a year with a dead glow plug system using ether with no ill effects. As towcat said, the key is to be VERY careful about how much you spray in. Spray way too much and your heads are going to take a flying lesson. If the engine clatters more loudly than normal when you first start it, spray less the next time...

Just my $.02...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I agree 100%. Me, being around BIG diesels EVERY day, seeing how they work and driving them, you get an idea of what is too much ether.

I have seen people hold a can to the intake, while a driver is whirling the engine like mad trying to get her to kick....ether lock!!!!!

I also had a disabled GP system for about a year....I only used ONE small can of ether in that year period, and I STILL have that can in the garage with some left in it. You do NOT need much.

While using the ether, I would simply cross teh starter solenoid with a screwdriver, keeping my face away from the intake incase anything bad was to happen.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I have to use it sometimes in my old truck, but I only use a little at a time. Just a puff will do the trick. If you put just a little too much it may harm something inside the engine. Ether in contact with hot glow plugs will ignite out of time and several cylinders igniting out of time can damage a rod or a valve.

My .02 cents.

Burt.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either in the fuel? Seriously? I bet he has no EGT gauge nor knows what one is. That IP will be toast in short order.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of a few farmers that have their GPs disabled and have installed ether shots into their system, just like tractors have. It's been tempting, just as a back-up for when the temperatures really go low. I have the manual system, so shutting it off would be easy enough.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
My 92 idit lived on ether. Never had an issue at 400k on the ticker. My current motor lived on it when i first got it, now its strictly gp's. as long as you dont go crazy, it wont hurt anything. you know its too much when it locks up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's to much way before lockup. I mean if your spraying enough to lock it up, your spraying 5x as much as you need.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either in the fuel? Seriously? I bet he has no EGT gauge nor knows what one is. That IP will be toast in short order.

Seriously, ether in the fuel. And he is proud of his ingenuity. I couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Thanks everybody for your comments and keep them coming this is good info for the new guys.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
...Ether in contact with hot glow plugs will ignite out of time and several cylinders igniting out of time can damage a rod or a valve...

Or the flames can erupt from the intake and start your engine bay on fire. My boss with the heavy machinery outfit I work for had that happen to him with his 97' PSD. He was in a hurry and made the mistake of downing the thing in ether before letting the plugs cycle.

I wasn't there at the time, but it wasn't a pretty sight by the time they finally got it put out...:eek:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
With all the issues of the 6.9 GP system I am surprised someone has not adapted a tractors ether ignition system on to one of these trucks. Like said earlier. a small can will last a LONG time if done properly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Just a very tiny little shot is all it takes,

And it dont take very much ether to actually lock one up;Really ask me how i know