This is why you need a coolant filter

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The filter I had on it was at about 4k miles and way overdue for changing for the first filter. This is what just poured out of the filter when I took it off

You must be registered for see images attach

At first I went into freakout mode thinking my oil cooler went. After that brief second I looked a little closer. The brown color is very small rust and sand particles suspended in the coolant. That's the crap that clogs your oil cooler, that makes the EGR cooler rupture, and blow head gaskets.

Stock gold ford coolant, 173k miles wjenthe filter was put on, like 176.5k now.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Don't let your wife know you put coolant in your tuperware either, she gets perturbed at you at calls you an idiot LOL

"But we need new tuperware anyways" :D

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
There isn't a fluid known to mechanics or carpenters that I haven't stored in tupperware. LOL

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust and sand usually only attack the oil cooler. You see a lot more failures on the head gasket and EGR cooler from overboost situations. Though that stuff does not help of course.

Thought about switching to some red ELC coolant? From what I am seeing on the navistar trucks, there red coolant does well, as does Cat red coolant.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added my coolant filter to my truck, At $42 a gallon for coolant I sure dont need it circulating all the trash that I could not catch when rebuilding my engine.
There is always trash in a cooling system, just all the different metals in the system make trash happen.

My coolant filter is fed by the water pump and returns into the bottom of the radiator wich is the suction side, so the filter should collect trash rather quickly.

I use the Napa 4019 with a 4070 filter.

Javier

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Dump the gold coolant and put in some Cat EC-1 rated coolant.

I despise the ford gold coolant witch is G-05! Every ford Ive seen running it has silicate drop out in the degass bottle or overflow tank. That stuff is JUNK!!!