This can't be right

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
So, this past weekend I tore my rear doors apart to change the actuators. They were seized and wouldn't allow me to lock or unlock my doors automatically or manually. I looked online for the actuators before I tried anything local. Discontinued part so they were unavailable from fordpartsgiant.com. Next I went to the local Ford dealership, none available at the warehouse or anywhere. Tried Lordco (local parts place) no luck there. Then I went to local Napa store. Well all the prices I've seen for a pair of actuators range from $250-350, which I would be willing to spend. BUT, Napa had them in stock and wanted $400 a PIECE, so $800 for two small actuators on the best discount possible...I looked at the parts guy like :eek: cookoo He agreed it was ridiculous.

So what are my options now? I'm hesitant to try a scrap yard or Pick-a-part because there's a good chance they're already seized or not functioning. And I'm not paying $800 for Napa's. There are tons of crew cab OBS truck rolling around, at least 5 in my small town, so I can't be the only one with seized actuators needing new ones. Where is everyone getting them?

If they weren't seized I'd lock and unlock them manually, wouldn't be an issue. Tried lubing em and forcing them to move in the vice, broke a rod already.

help

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be able to adapt some inexpensive aftermarket actuators in there. I have installed them in my 04 f150 that did not have power locks from the factory. Hardest part of installing them is figuring out a new way to mount them. Sometimes you have to go back in and tighten the fasteners after a few months too. I Haven't had to tear into my rear doors yet, but I am changing my drivers door now and fixing my broken actuator there.

Something like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-Unive...770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460fa19e42

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far I have been lucky and gotten probably 8 from a wrecking yard. Trying to drill out that rivet is tuff so I use a cold chiesel and hammer. Then the easiest way I have found to install them is with a 1/4x28 bolt and nut. I think the bolt is 1/2 inch long and I tape it to the inside bracket to it holds in place. then fish the bolt neck thru the door hole and start the nut. Once it grabs a thrad it wont be hard to tighten the nut and firmly hold the actuator. That rod is removeable to on the factory units but be careful. You need to remove a clip. Then lift up a collar and then several tiny BB bearings drop out and run all over the place. Just apply grease to them when you install a different shaft and they stay in place. They are just a small electric motor and as it spins internally the rod is driven up or down of the bb bearings. Interesting idea too but tuff to work on too.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
My 93 has the same rear door locks ... both don't work ... I can only find the $400 dollar ones also ... I will be watching to see who has the answer to plan B ? Once I have more time , I will make something work ?? LOL

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
none of mine work, so after it warms up I'm simply going to pull the complete doors from a junkyard for $50 each LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doorman has a line of universal actuators that will actually work quite well. I have one in the Moosestang, drivers side door. The generally sell for about $40, and honestly I doubt they are any worse than the Ford ones. http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-275-door-lock-actuators.aspx?pagenum=2 Yes, they are lighter, and you may have to get inventive with the electrical connector, but they DO work just fine. I suspect if you order from LMC, that's what your going to get.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found that if you removed the plastic keeper from the push pull rod that we use to manually pull open or push down on to lock the doors is removed. You can lock or unlock the doors manually easily. you need to have the window up and use a flash lite to see the yellow clip way up there.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a hands on purchase, check stereo shops. They do alarms and use lock actuators frequently.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the ones one ebay like the dorman ones they look the same and go in the same the problem is there for a car door, in the rear doors of our trucks the manual thing that pokes up out of the door is in the front of the door (not in the rear like the standard cab doors) so there is some extra linkage to the door latch. So they don't have enough power to operate the lock if you pull up on the thing that pokes out of the door and hit the electric button the work but don't have enough power to do them on there own.so im going to tell you to not buy the aftermarket ones because you will be very disappointed to tare the door panel off and fight with putting it in to find out they don't work I gave up on them after I found this out, but would like to look into newer cc trucks to see if we can put them in our older trucks.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Russ's link looks like the way I'm going to go. I don't have time to hit a wrecker, and it's no guarantee they'll work anyways. Our CC 460 at work has the same issue so I'm sure it's common.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A really qiuck fix is drill out the rivet and let the motor hang in the door. then you can manually open or close the lock. That hanging motor will rattle some but that makes you want to fix it fast too.