Thinking long and hard about an hx35 swap

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Here's my deal, I want moar air( especially down low) so I will be putting a different turbo on my banks kit. I have narrowed it down between a bw 256 and an hx35. I know most people would say the 256 is the way to go but here are my reasons for wanting to go the hx35 route
-cheap
- lightning fast spool on a 7.3
-VERY easy to find
-Ease of mods

What route would you guys go?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the CFM output of a 6,9/7.3 is a bit more than a 5.9, and that is really going to hurt you at higher RPM's. You'll have more back pressure and higher EGT's.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im putting an hx35 on mine right now, if I had the time i would do HX40 cold side HX35 hotside. Ultimate combo IMO.

Ill probably be looking to do this myself down the road.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that the CFM output of a 6,9/7.3 is a bit more than a 5.9, and that is really going to hurt you at higher RPM's. You'll have more back pressure and higher EGT's.

Very true... with proper egt monitoring and limited WOT runs you ought to be fine. Some folks have drilled the wastegate opening larger and into both sides of the divided exhaust. That'll cut down on excess backpressure.

Black dawg

Reaction score

This is what I found also, And the reason that I never put the hx35 on my truck. BUT after a few years of using this truck, I noticed that I almost never turn it over 2500, so maybe the hx35 would be fine for me.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but my old 92 Dodge/Cummins came stock with a overly large 21cm exhaust housing. It was smokey and had a lot of turbo lag. Swapping to a much smaller 12cm housing cleared up the smoke and was night and day difference in spool up time.

With that in mind would these larger 18 or 21cm housings be an ideal setup for an IDI using the HX35/H1C turbos? Does that make sense to anyone else but me LOL Something to think about anyway.

middaymidnight

Reaction score
Very true... with proper egt monitoring and limited WOT runs you ought to be fine. Some folks have drilled the wastegate opening larger and into both sides of the divided exhaust. That'll cut down on excess backpressure.

I don't make very many wot runs but I do want to be able to, I am planning both an i/c and w/m.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't make very many wot runs but I do want to be able to, I am planning both an i/c and w/m.

I'm not saying you couldn't go WOT, it's more a function of the turbo efficiency map... at higher IDI rpms it's likely out of its ideal range. You'd have to do some math and plot out the IDI on the compressor map.

With proper wastegate control it shouldn't be much of an issue. Water-methanol is likely overkill in your application. The HX35 will spool at a good low RPM and build up good steam in a normal acceleration situation.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the hx has a wastegate off only 1 bank is that correct? Drilling through to the other port should help aleviat eth ebackpressre?

middaymidnight

Reaction score
My plan is to basically make this a 35/40 hybrid, with lightning fast spool and decent top end

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the hx has a wastegate off only 1 bank is that correct? Drilling through to the other port should help aleviat eth ebackpressre?

Yes and yes. Not necessarily alleviate, just help control. The hole is a lot smaller than the flapper and can be enlarged as well.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
HX40 will be a better bet. The HX35 hot side is to small IMHO, it will be nice on the bottom end for spool, but high rpm's would result in high back pressure/EGT's.

Ditch the stock 12cm housing and go larger, they sell a 16cm/18cm non gated housing which would work better. The 21cm housing from one of the H1C's and a HX40 hotside might actually make a decent combination, although a little laggy on the bottom (but we have high compression so thats not as much of a problem). A stock HX35 will be like a 093 ATS turbo. It will make a difference, but it is not ideal (which is the case for any of the banks, ATS, or hypermax turbo kits).

http://www.gillettdiesel.com/turbochargerspartsandupgrades-3.aspx
$.02

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HX40 will be a better bet. The HX35 hot side is to small IMHO, it will be nice on the bottom end for spool, but high rpm's would result in high back pressure/EGT's.

Ditch the stock 12cm housing and go larger, they sell a 16cm/18cm non gated housing which would work better. The 21cm housing from one of the H1C's and a HX40 hotside might actually make a decent combination, although a little laggy on the bottom (but we have high compression so thats not as much of a problem). A stock HX35 will be like a 093 ATS turbo. It will make a difference, but it is not ideal (which is the case for any of the banks, ATS, or hypermax turbo kits).

http://www.gillettdiesel.com/turbochargerspartsandupgrades-3.aspx
$.02

Definitely agree that the HX35 isn't a perfect match for the IDI, but it is cheap, available, and swaps easily.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you know how much larger the cold side housing is (outer diameter of the housing) of an HX40 vs an HX35? I think I protected for a large housing but want to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online