think they'll total it out?

Think they'll total it out?

• YES! Insurance companies will total anything, no matter how good it runs!

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • No, I think they'll pay to have it fixed....

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My parents had someone pull out in front of them with a trailer while they were doing 55mph. Had enough time to stand on the brakes with about 50-75' of lockup marks on the road. Totalled the RV they were driving.

That was September, they still havent payed out. Different circumstances but just get used to hearing alot of "umm...there not in" ect.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Also like towcat said, dont polish a ****...but I will say looking well maintained is a good thing. On my work truck the bed shows that the truck is a hauler, the paint that is left is well oxidized, etc...she aint pretty, however the interior, undercarriage, and under the hood are damn near spotless....its a truck, built to be a reliable workhorse, not a beauty queen.

thanks, I'll go to the truck wash in the morning and degrease the engine compartment and clean the interior, but the underside and paint are hopeless (even though I'll still clean them), we have 4' or so of white crap that's been melting the last few days, so it's mud everywhere

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
on a side note, today my buddy bought a new camper at the local boat show, we used my truck to pull it to his place because I have a 7-pin plug and brake controller......

turns out the PO tapped the electronic control to the left side brake light instead of the pedal, so when I turned on the turn signals the brakes on the trailer kept locking up with the flash of the turn signal!! LOL

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What's real fun is when they get you in the rental car they think they have you over a barrell, then they try to use the rental car to leverage you into taking whatever offer they throw at you. So long as you have backup transportation, this is fun, because it aggravates them to no end to not be able to force you to take whatever they stuff at you thinking that you are desperate for transportation.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
nah, I'm not even using a rental car, I'm just driving the truck, drivers door just binds when I open it

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
so I tried calling the appraisers today (again) they were in the office for 30 mins this morning and won't be back until 1pm, when I called them friday, they said they'd call me back, guess what they didn't do?

so I got to call the appraiser from MetLife again, she said the company should have at least set up something to check out my truck, she's going to find out if they have another company to go through up here, just to get an appraisal of the damage!!

I let her know I took the afternoon off friday and then again today to try to get this taken care of, I do deliveries in my truck, so I told her either she needs to get something set up today (at least scheduled at a certain date and time), or she needs to find a company that will do an appraisal at 2am when I get home from work since I won't have a day off for 3 weeks

I liked her attitude and comment on the phone "I can't pay you until we get the damage appraised"

she told me they can't take an appraisal from the dealership shop because "they aren't a preferred shop" (and then told me they don't have one up here)

this is fun.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I got to call the appraiser from MetLife again, she said the company should have at least set up something to check out my truck, she's going to find out if they have another company to go through up here, just to get an appraisal of the damage!!

I let her know I took the afternoon off friday and then again today to try to get this taken care of, I do deliveries in my truck, so I told her either she needs to get something set up today (at least scheduled at a certain date and time), or she needs to find a company that will do an appraisal at 2am when I get home from work since I won't have a day off for 3 weeks

ummmm......
let me see if I get this right...
you have a commercial or a private use policy?
if it's commercial, what you told her is OK.
if you have private use policy and you are using your truck in a work capacity, you just opened a route to get your claim denied.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you talk to the adjuster and tell him about any recent work you had done or parts you bought. My 89 Suburban was just rear-ended in Dec. and they totalled it. Gave me 2600 for it. I couldn't sell it for 2000 two months before... When I mentioned a recent trans, they upped it another 200.00 even though I didn't have the receipt for the work! Buy-back was 360 and one Saturday afternoon's work and a new windshield, I'm back on the road driving one of the finest machines ever to come out of Detroit. Be gentle, firm, concise and reasonable. Back up your claim for $ with documentation and cma's, and you may be surprised how they will respond. Remember, they want this to go away and they do NOT want your old truck.

Last edited:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ummmm......
let me see if I get this right...
you have a commercial or a private use policy?
if it's commercial, what you told her is OK.
if you have private use policy and you are using your truck in a work capacity, you just opened a route to get your claim denied.
Because the accident insn't his fault as long as the other person's ins co is not the same as his then he'll be okay on the claim. Where he could have troubles is if his own ins co. gets notified that he made a declaration of commercial use and he doesn't have a commercial policy. Then his ins company just cancells him.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree with devilish.....had that been said to your ins company it would be a kiss of death....99% of the time the rental car card hold no weight, however seeing as the insurance company is getting stalled by a third party, I would consider requesting one, even just to sit in your driveway....phrase it as you are trying to be reasonable, however its been almost a week and you cant get phone calls returned, and nothings been done.

I think you are still ok, just gotta be real careful with what you say...like I said, its like a cop and judge thing...anything you say can and will be used against you...

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another side thought on the commercial vs regular policy (and this applies in most states)...
If your EMPLOYER is having you use your vehicle for deliveries (pizza guys, parts delivery guys) the business generally must have a policy that covers you and any vehicle you drive while on the clock...You would not need a personal commercial policy. If you are carrying for hire (anything off the clock, or as a contractor etc) you would need a commercial policy.

From a recent case, carrying tools from home to jobsite personal coverage applies, from jobsite to jobsite commercial covrage is used.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get the damn rental car. Do you think for one minute they want you to have one.... If you have one and they are paying for it you can bet the fire will be lit under them... Paying out monies is not that an insueance company likes to do..... Anytime....:eek: You are owed the best car for an acident you didn't cause... The ***** that hit you is the problem they need to deal with... But thats not your problem... Its theirs... Get what coming to you but be nice and firm about it.... They will try to get you for the least amount of pyoff and the cost of a rental is not figured into what they need to pay you... Of course they may try and tell you the rental cost X amount so we have to reduce your payoff by that amount... Don't let that happen. Question every amount they offer and ask why they came up with those figures... Answers wil surprise you.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
s
she told me they can't take an appraisal from the dealership shop because "they aren't a preferred shop" (and then told me they don't have one up here)

this is fun.....

I call BS :backoff That's illegal, if they try to push you into using only their shop with that crap, go straight to the authorities. The independendant body shops have ben succesfully fighting that garbage for about 30 years, they can suggest that you bring it to their preferred shop and tell you about the benefits of how much easier they will make it on you if you do, but they can't force you to use their shop.i.e take it to our shop where they cut corners and we won't screw you quite as bad

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
finally had the insurance appraiser out about a half hour ago, he took pictures of the damage and the rear end of the truck, surprised me when he didn't take any of the pass side that looks like ass LOL

he said they will probably total it out, simply because it looks like the frame is tweaked to him, I guess now it's wait and see what they offer me and then start the bargaining process

if they offer me 2500 or more and the truck, I'm taking it and laughing all the way to the billet front end installation

he also took a picture of the odometer, didn't ask if it was correct, would be funny if they called it 63k miles on the truck LOL

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes a rental car will make them get it done quicker, and they can do it at any shop, in order to get them to get an estimate on my 06 mustang gt I had to just keep asking for someones boss and then ask what number should my power of attorney contact you at to resolve this matter, they were there the next morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faust

Members online