Thing next to the oil fill cap.

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1994 ford f350 factory turbo idi. What is the (i believe sensor) next to the where you fill the engine with oil. If looking at the engine from the front of the truck on the right. It has 2 wires coming from it going to a connector. Its also run into the same housing as the oil fill cap. Mine is showing bare wire and would like to replace it now instead of on the highway. Thanks for your help guys!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
tach sensor- dealer only item I believe. If your truck is a automatic I would def replace it but if its a standard then I prob wouldnt worry bout it. on an auto that sensor helps to control the trans, on a standard, it really does nothing for you but make the tach work, mine hasnt worked in bout a year

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah i have a automatic, so i will get on that. Any idea what the item number might be? And what its going to set me back at Ford? I appreciate all your knowledge!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
check parts bin in the tech articles, also I forgot you might check out ebay u haul was selling off their old inventory a while back, might still have some left

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah i have a automatic, so i will get on that. Any idea what the item number might be? And what its going to set me back at Ford? I appreciate all your knowledge!

runkeeg26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the item number E5TZ-17B384-A . Is it just thread out the old one and thread in the new one? I found one for 58. That is the cheapest i can find. Anyone know off the top of their head one cheaper? Ebay was unsuccessful.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the tach sensor, if you tach is working, just take a little silicone or Permatex weather strip glue or Liquid tape on it. A new one is around $75 from dealer. Ford P/N E5TZ 17B384 A

Last edited:

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
1994 ford f350 factory turbo idi. What is the (i believe sensor) next to the where you fill the engine with oil. If looking at the engine from the front of the truck on the right. It has 2 wires coming from it going to a connector. Its also run into the same housing as the oil fill cap. Mine is showing bare wire and would like to replace it now instead of on the highway. Thanks for your help guys!

RKeeg: If your tach still works fine then you can insulate the wires and provide strain relief for them and the connector.

Regards,

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If it is still working, tape it. There is one for sale in the Marketplace forum for a good price if you are set on changing it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like you have to replace it every year! Spend the money and be happy.