Thermostats

RocketScott

Reaction score
What is the extra hole going between the block and the thermostat housing for?

I just took mine apart and the extra hole in the housing is plugged, intentionally so, it has a plastic plug in there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That hole in the t'stat gooseneck/housing is a vent for air to the radiator, it's supposed to have a ball bearing in it, it will stay open as long as any air is passing thru it, but will close when coolant tries to go thru it. If the ball is missing a lot of coolant will go thru it and delay the engine from coming up to temperature. also the t'stat will not function as it's suppose to.

Last edited:

RocketScott

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I got it all cleaned out and found the ball bearing. Whomever replaced the T-stat last just smeared RTV over everything and put it back on without a gasket.

I got a T-stat from autozone that has the rubber seal around the rim. Found out this will not work with the seal on. Baxter is the only place I found that has the gasket nearby but they are closed. Looks like I won't be finishing this till the morning.

Hope it will do for now. I'll order a motorcraft next chance I get.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a ford dealer local? Mine had a thermostat on the shelf. If you are waiting until the morning, it might be worth checking out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Only Ford or International thermostats will work correctly in our engines. Many others will fit but they will not pass enough coolant and you overheat the engine. China has been making a look alike thermostat but it too will fail. Just make sure of what your buying. No Ford part no matter what it looks like will say china on it..

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A-zone stats are very low quality. Is yours from china or israel? It will break at one of the fingers on top then it cant open and you burn down your engine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buying a cheap offshore thermostat will melt your engine. They fail and you can't cool the engine. Now are you able to drive with one eye on the temp gauge. If you are your better than me and I have 6 extra gauges to help maintain my engine driving conditions. I drive by my gauges and hopefully I drive right past those broken down on the sides of the roads or the dealerships... I only know of one member thats running a non stock thermostat and doing to safely. I believe he drilled a hole in his thermostat too but do not recall the name of it or the size hole. He does not post much any longer here.

RocketScott

Reaction score
Found that oreily sells the motor craft T-stat and it comes with a gasket. I was just looking for gaskets when I was on their site yesterday.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL giggling reading this thread and candy thermometers and ovens...Hell I use the oven for what ever I choose!

I cook in it and clean it so I damn well better be able to paint and bake parts in it along with heat bearings to slip fit and so forth.

There is no reason I can't use it for what ever I choose! Gary, you too do with your oven what you will!

Betcha most guys whom test use a pot and stove to boil water! Oh no...in best whiny girly voice like nagging wife.... not a pot of hot water on the stove and a thermostat test...Not my good pot...no way...

Buwa ha ha ha ha...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online