Aftermarket thermostat that I can mount above the factory one for ease of replacement?

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have practically no heat and I assume that is because the thermostat is stuck open. Replacing it seems like a bit of a job and my thought was that perhaps there was an aftermarket option that mounts in between the hose and the housing, or at the very top of the housing? Hoping for something easy to access and a way to get heat back ASAP. Thanks!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Block off part of your radiator with card board for now.

Changing the thermostat in these trucks isn't all that bad of a job really. Just make sure you use a Ford or international thermostat only. After market thermostats from the auto parts stores don't work.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block off part of your radiator with card board for now.

Changing the thermostat in these trucks isn't all that bad of a job really. Just make sure you use a Ford or international thermostat only. After market thermostats from the auto parts stores don't work.
Okay, she’s already in her winter grill jacket but the cardboard will be a sight better for sure.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you shure your heater core is not blocked? I lost heat in my truck a couple of winters ago and had to replace the heater core on a nice balmy 20* day.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you shure your heater core is not blocked? I lost heat in my truck a couple of winters ago and had to replace the heater core on a nice balmy 20* day.
No, it definitely could be but I feel like the gauge on the truck is lower than it was last winter making me think it’s the thermostat. It’s only a the factory gauge which is almost worthless but I’ll block off the radiator to see if I can get the gauge to move at all and some heat in the cab as well.

How bad was replacing the core?

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it definitely could be the core, but I feel like the gauge on the truck is lower than it was last winter making me think it’s the thermostat. It’s only a the factory gauge which is almost worthless but I’ll block off the radiator to see if I can get the gauge to move at all and some heat in the cab as well.

How bad was replacing the core?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck which is a 1990 f250 I had to remove the glove box to remove and replace the heater core. It wouldn't have been hard if I had a warm garage to work in, but I had to do it outside in the wind and cold and I had no way to warm up the heater hose ends and had to cut them off the old core. Then I had a hell of a time putting them on the new core because they were so stiff from the cold. If you have a warm garage or a heat gun it will help alot. Also put some old towels or pig mats under the old core before removing it from the fire wall to catch the coolant that will spill out from it.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck which is a 1990 f250 I had to remove the glove box to remove and replace the heater core. It wouldn't have been hard if I had a warm garage to work in, but I had to do it outside in the wind and cold and I had no way to warm up the heater hose ends and had to cut them off the old core. Then I had a hell of a time putting them on the new core because they were so stiff from the cold. If you have a warm garage or a heat gun it will help alot. Also put some old towels or pig mats under the old core before removing it from the fire wall to catch the coolant that will spill out from it.
Are you me? Im outside now working on the water separator bowl - it's 30 but going to 20 below tonight and a high of 9 tomorrow. I work in either the snow and freezing temps in the winter or ankle deep mud in the summer. Not sure which I hate more. I know one thing, my truck wouldn't have all these problems if I had the motivation to do the things it needed before they broke. A heated garage would be in no exaggerative terms, life changing for me. We have two vehicles with a combined half million miles, both with problems that I can't hardly find the motivation to fix because of conditions!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cheap IR temp gun will tell you all you need to know.

Heck, touching the hoses with your hand can tell you well enough. After running for a while, if the hoses are all cold to the touch the thermostat is stuck open. If one hose is warm and the other is cold, the heater core is plugged, if they're both warm and you have no heat out of the vents the blend door is likely the culprit.

They make remote mount thermostat housings, but I don't know if any are large enough to fit in the idi upper radiator hose. Honestly the stock thermostat isn't difficult to remove, and leaving the old one in place sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online