Thermocouple location and size/depth

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am planning putting a turbo on my rig. I am still deciding on which guages to get and mounting location.

But the biggest concern is where the thermocouple should be placed and how to install it ie how deep should it be in the exhaust tube?

Any suggestions or info would be very helpful.....

Thad

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put it in the manifold.mine is in the front of the drivers manifold.fire it up and let it run while you drill and tap the hole.smear some grease on the bit,tap and manifold so it catches the big drill chunks.with it running it will blow the rest out as you drill and tap.i like mine so the tip of the thermocouple is directly in or infront of an exhaust port.this way you see exactly what temps are coming out of the cylinder.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh and no depth to worry about.just drill through the manifold,tap the hole and screw the fitting in.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
ok, the reason I asked about the depth is because some thermocouples come in different lengths (i think?). I have all stock exhaust except for the muffler is replaced and there is no exhaust after the muffler....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
To be completely honest, you dont HAVE to put it in the manifold. I put the last one I did in the crossover pipe, on the drivers side, as close to the manifold flange as possible. It'll read accurately enough there, and you dont have to worry about shavings getting into the turbo because you can do this with the pipe off.
I suggest you mark the area on the pipe with it mounted in the truck so you dont put it directly below one of the exhaust studs. Dont ask me how I know.

If you think being moved away from the exhaust port by only about 2.5-3 inches will make you worry about its accuracy, then you're pushing the envelope to close as it is.
My .02.