The ultimate IDI starter?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Since everything else is completely worn out on my truck I'm sure the starter is going to need replaced before too long :rolleyes:

I searched around but couldn't find much... Anyone have experience with these? http://fostertruck.com/ford.htm I saw the ad in the latest diesel power and thought--Hmmmmm :sly

Looks to be built like a brick poop house ;Really

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
there is another thread with a different brand...d and c or something like that... thats what i bought and ive been really happy with it

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Go with the DB, it's 1/4 as much for the same thing.

DragRag

Reaction score
Wow Db has a damn good price. I like my lifetime warranty autozone starter though. It goes out, and I have one same day. They are $50 more though, but you save on the shipping. I like convenience, and waiting for a new one in the mail when it fails for warranty replacement is not convenient at all for me.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from DB and its still going strong, even started the truck when stepdad burnt all my glowplugs out. took some work but the nip didn't give and i made sure to not push the 20sec rule

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Wow Db has a damn good price. I like my lifetime warranty autozone starter though. It goes out, and I have one same day. They are $50 more though, but you save on the shipping. I like convenience, and waiting for a new one in the mail when it fails for warranty replacement is not convenient at all for me.

That is until they tell you they no longer will warranty it. Thats what O'Reily did to me. I've brought the mitsubishi starters in once or twice a year for replacement, the last time I did they said they wouldn't warranty it anymore unless I downgraded to another starter and even then I would be downgrading my warranty to a one year one anyway. BS! I don't even think thats legal.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the parts stores are doing is probably not illegal but it is certainly morally and ethically wrong. They sell a part with a lifetime warranty. All they have to do is obsolete that part number and the new part (same part different number) is not covered under your original warranty anymore. They will usually honor it that time but you have no more claim in the future or as stated the warrenty is only for a year. Been there done that and the "china junk cheapo 3" (O'Reilly, Autozone, and Advance) all do it.

If you can find an independant who does a better job for less money than it should be your moral obligation to support them. Or you can just keep pumping your funds into the banks of those who lie and cheat you.

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is until they tell you they no longer will warranty it. Thats what O'Reily did to me. I've brought the mitsubishi starters in once or twice a year for replacement, the last time I did they said they wouldn't warranty it anymore unless I downgraded to another starter and even then I would be downgrading my warranty to a one year one anyway. BS! I don't even think thats legal.

Not sure how many parts store you have around you but if they do that crap with us down here in Atlanta, O'Reilys, Autozone, Advance and NAPA have a store on every corner down here, I'll buy a new one somewhere else out of principle and carry around the old part stopping in at every shop I pass until I find one that swaps it out. The kids that work sat and sun evening could care less and usually do it for me. Then I have a spare!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you buy the quality denso unit, you don't have to worry about going to az and swapping starters on a weekly basis like you do with the el cheapo mitsu rebuilds. You can expect the thing to last longer than a factory new starter did so purchasing on the basis of a convinient warranty replacement is kind of a moot point. Better to but a starter that you don't have to worry about having to have replaced, Even teh new mitsu units aren't very goodm the rebuilt ones are junk. When I went to the diesel electric shop to get a starter he had both and he wouldn't even sell me a mitsu. Only time he'll sell the things is if a denso unit just plain won't fit, but he hates selling the mitsu starters because they crap out left and right , even the brand new ones, and he just doesn't have any problems with the denso units

DragRag

Reaction score

Doubt they will do that to me since I spend about $2000 a month in parts alone there. I am a top 10 customer in there store, so lets just say the candy bars don't usually make it on the tag. Warranty will never be a problem, or they would certainly loose my business, I doubt they want that. The starters do seem to last just fine for me, out of about 5 that I have gotten from them, only 1 has failed, and that has been over the last two years. My trucks see severe duty use being in the construction and landscaping trades, so my failure rate is low. Nothing wrong with using diesel rebuild shops, or electric shops that do alternator and starters though for sure. I just like the convenience of AZ always having them in stock, and can get one almost anywhere if needed. No time for down time, were not hauling RV's on the weekend here.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I purchesd a starter 3 years ago from a local rebuild place, called LTD, it has been the best starter i have ever seen its a rebuilt mitsu, i sold it on the truck i sold my buddy a year ago and he has cranked the truck for a year on no glowplugs and that thing still spins the **** out of the engine

Shaguardriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my oem rebuilt after I nuked it:eek: It works great but I had it done at a local shop that is know for GREAT work:thumbsup: