The Repair List!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well, it's long. Guess thats the price you pay for a squared away interior, newish engine and solid transmission. Read them and weep with me:

Steering gear box
oil cooler
upper & lower ball joints
tie rod ends
front u-joints
front shocks
front axle seals
pinion seals
glow plug timer (although it's currently on a dash mounted momentary switch I may leave it on)

And a bad one - the firewall behind the clutch is tearing - supposedly there used to be an OEM kit to repair that. Might have to have a plate welded on there if I cannot find one.

Oooooh this is gunna hurt the pocket. But hey, I kinda knew what I was getting into.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Those front axle seals require you to remove the pumpkin from the housing arms if its an F250.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ford has two repair kits for the firewall, a simple bolt on, which is cheap, and a 150 dollar one which is for severe issues. I was surpised to find Ford still had at least the cheap on in stock. I suspect they can get the other one also if you find a motivated parts man.

wayne

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Stealer can get old parts pretty quick usually in a day, but bring your gold card :(
Try LMC Truck they have a good parts listing.

Last edited:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah I went through and priced everything out last night so I have a reference point when they bring up the cost of the parts. I'll also ask if I can supply the parts, which most likely they'll allow. Thanks for the ref to the LMC site!

My Stealer can get old parts pretty quick usually in a day, but bring your gold card :(
Try LMC Truck they have a good parts listing.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Hoooooya, just got the estimate for the work from the stealership.

OMFG. :puke: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

45.5 hours of work @ 90/hr yeeehaw

only 3k in parts.

hoooya.

12 months p&l on everything. must say it's tempting...

please talk some sense into me folks!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Uh, $3000 in parts is VERY high.
And really, most everything you listed is simple to DIY.
And just leave the switch for the glow plugs, its better. Those factory controllers are always going bad.

suv7734

Reaction score
Something sounds a bit off on those prices. Sorry if it's posted elsewhere but is this an F250 or F350? Are you able to do any of the work yourself?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
This includes basically what amounts to a complete steering and front end rebuild. I'll post detail in a bit here.

As far as doing it myself it would take me months to do. More when I get the written detail.b It's a F-250 with a heavy duty suspension.

Something sounds a bit off on those prices. Sorry if it's posted elsewhere but is this an F250 or F350? Are you able to do any of the work yourself?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit off?!!!!!! I thought **** was illegal.:dunno cookoo

No kidding.

I was wondering if they offered him some Vaseline or KY to ease the pain:eek:

They don't want a gold card, they want a platinum card AND your first born.

I could do all that work for $3k total and still make a really nice profit. That's pretty much why I don't let Ford touch my trucks unless it's covered under insurance or warranty. That's just plain friggin greedy. I won't even buy parts from Ford unless it's a dealer only item.

sassyrel

Reaction score
you need different estimates, and a diff dealer. cripes, i could make a lot of money off that--