The quest for a better paint job: Step 1 Paint Booth

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shops Looking Great. Anxious to see the walls. I've debated some movable panels in my shop, but haven't come up with anything I like. Walls need to be cleanable and not flutter when moving air. I like your plan for them. Anxious to see it.

J-channel on the filter panel is brilliant. Where is the filter panel going again? in the wall or in a door way?

Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The filter panel will go above the "garage door" panel. No need for 12 ft door so I dropped it down and made it the filter housing. Should get reasonable cross flow that way too. Point well taken on the walls. I'm hoping to be able to take the hose to them without worrying and I figure the first thing I'll do when I get something in there to paint is go around and spray everything with the air hose and fan on to try and dislodge the easy stuff and get it out. We shall see how it works... hopefully this weekend I'll be able to flow test it at least.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
For what it's worth...when I painted my samurai I sprayed everything down with the water hose so the floor and walls were damp. I had no issues with the paint and no issues with overspray in the air either.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filter housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

And with the corner post, we are ready for curtains. Have to get filters to set the J channels the right distance apart.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got stupid lucky. It turns out my opening is the same width as the tarp I bought when turned the opposite direction I intended.

Quick test fit.

Alrighty!!

Speed bore bit to give a recess for the eyelets. Through hole for 3/8" carriage bolts.

Then hung up.

Now I just need to drill and install the outer strips and do the roll up parts.

I'll try to tackle the other one tomorrow. Then comes the really hard part.... The massive clean up. [emoji21]

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this worked out way better than I expected.

Used 1.5" schedule 40 PVC and zip ties to attach the end of the tarp to and roll it up. It works great.

You can see I have the outer strip installed across the top.

Now I just need the side strips completed and it would be optimal to swap out my double pulleys for smaller ones.

On to the other wall.

This is what I used.

On sale and a 20% off coupon. [emoji6]

It's hung across the top but I ran out of steam. Had the heater running pointed into the space with the ceiling and it was easily 10 degrees or more warmer than it was in the rest of the garage. I'll get the extra rolled up and trim this extra off. Put some new eyes in after its trimmed and put the roll up hardware in. Then I can flow test it and figure out what I need to do for structure in the wall.

After that is lots of spray foam.

The way things are looking, I may be just preparing for spring at this point but maybe I can catch a nice enough day to get the cab in primer.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it's turning out great. The way your doing that I don't think you'll get a lot of flutter. Should be pretty easy to blow it all out clean also.

;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the other wall rolling up.

It's not gorgeous but it is functional. Need the sealing strips on the sides and some filters then the biggest problem will be the weather.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made slight progress tonight.

Have a paint mixing bench inside now.

As a bonus it folds up.

Basically flat. I wouldn't get up on it and dance a jig but it's plenty sturdy for its intended purpose. Light duty assembly staging and paint mixing.

Also got a dimmer and box installed for the fan.

It works pretty good. Need to read up on how hard it is on the motor to do this but I think it should be fine for what I need it for. I'm hoping I only need to slow it down just a touch if at all.

Other than that it's just cleanup, cleanup and more cleanup. [emoji20]

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
looking good sir! first Friday over 70° and you are going to be in business!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I cranked the fan up last night with the heater running and there is no way I'm going to come close to keeping up with the heat at that flow rate. This will soon be resting until summer. I'd love to have gotten the epoxy primer on the cab but I guess it will have to wait. Time to tie this up nice and shift gears till spring thaw.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good man! Regarding makeup heat my plan is to spray, then evacuate for 5-10 minute to remove over spray between coats. If my heat doesn't keep up then my plan is to spray all my coats and then evacuate 10ish minutes at the end to pull the over spray. I've sprayed a lot with very little ventilation in the winter so I didn't loose my heat.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Might be able to get away with that to at least get fenders and hood sprayed. Might be able to turn the fan way down while spraying and then up for a couple minutes to clear then off. I really just want the epoxy primer on it for now so overspray is not a huge concern. Temperature and behavior is a concern though. Sigh... you had to make this harder for me didn't you. Just when I had my mind made up. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86