the money pit.... Another problem

prerunnin

Reaction score
I'm about ready to sell this ford... WHEN DOES IT END!
I bought the truck back on thanksgiving with plans to tow with it, first the radiator started leakin so i got a new one 300$, then the tie-rods had to be replaced 150$.. then my engine leaked real bad so I redid half the gaskets. then one of my u-joints broke and I checked all of them and they were all rusted through, there goes another 400$... balljoints went out, bam another 300$ because apparently i have the 4600lb front end, so I finally managed to get another 7.3 idi to start building for the turbo and my transmission went out, 600$ later i have a built e4od, now today I started to tear down the spare motor to get it hot tanked so I can start building it and I realize how loose my steering got over the past few days.

ANYWAYS

I crawled under the truck and saw bracket for the TTB half torn about to rip off has this happened to anyone else? I'm thinking of fabricating another set 2" lower and getting a 2" lift block to lift the truck, has it been done by anyone on here?

prerunnin

Reaction score
the bracket that mounts the beam end to the crossmember under the engine, for the passenger beam

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
yes that is very common from my experience for the passenger ttb pivot bracket to get loose then break my stock one did it, and my 4" drop ones have done it to so i welded the crap out of it and i haven;t had ant issues. however i know how you feel about your money pit,but they are old and decreped, it just keeps me from getting bored with it so fast just hang in there man it will be like new when you are done.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
the bracket that mounts the beam end to the crossmember under the engine, for the passenger beam

This one? (its a Rancho 4" lift bracket)
You must be registered for see images attach

If that is torn, your truck has lead a HARD life. Your truck is pretty beat, right?

prerunnin

Reaction score
not that bracket, the passenger beam's bracket its very weak. the truck isnt beat either.

i only put spicer u-joints after i broke 2 durashits and a napa on my prerunner.

3 u-joints in the front, 2 on front driveshaft and 3 on back driveshaft and the carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft + both pinion/yoke seals on the transfercase and the differentials

I figure the bracket ripped because the leaf springs are trying to cycle the beams directly up/down, but that pivot is forcing it to do an arch. i just wonder how many other people had the issue

prerunnin

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

all of them were in bad condition, this one just gave first.

anyways i'll snap a picture of the broken bracket tommorow

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to sell this ford... WHEN DOES IT END!
I bought the truck back on thanksgiving with plans to tow with it, first the radiator started leakin so i got a new one 300$, then the tie-rods had to be replaced 150$.. then my engine leaked real bad so I redid half the gaskets. then one of my u-joints broke and I checked all of them and they were all rusted through, there goes another 400$... balljoints went out, bam another 300$ because apparently i have the 4600lb front end, so I finally managed to get another 7.3 idi to start building for the turbo and my transmission went out, 600$ later i have a built e4od, now today I started to tear down the spare motor to get it hot tanked so I can start building it and I realize how loose my steering got over the past few days.
Welcome to the wonderful world of old vehicles.
They need attention and fixing > after all, they're not new ;Really

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty classic scenario. Someone buys a truck for under 2 or 3 grand, and then it nickle and dimes them to death. Let's be realistic. If you want a good reliable truck, you need to pump money into it, in great quantities, and quickly. After all, the people who sold it to you, decided to do so long before they got rid of it, when they started defering maintanance. From what I'm hearing, there wasn't anything that broke, that I wouldn't have voluntarily replaced preemptively anyway. Take a look and find some other stuff that's worn out, and get busy. By the time you've spent what you would have on a newer vehicle, you will have a newer vehicle. Kapish?

Marshall1

Reaction score
It's a pretty classic scenario. Someone buys a truck for under 2 or 3 grand, and then it nickle and dimes them to death. Let's be realistic. If you want a good reliable truck, you need to pump money into it, in great quantities, and quickly. After all, the people who sold it to you, decided to do so long before they got rid of it, when they started defering maintanance. From what I'm hearing, there wasn't anything that broke, that I wouldn't have voluntarily replaced preemptively anyway. Take a look and find some other stuff that's worn out, and get busy. By the time you've spent what you would have on a newer vehicle, you will have a newer vehicle. Kapish?

Well said sir!!

I bought my 1990 a year ago and it was in great shap and had been well taken care of. That being said I have still done a bunch of repairs general maintence stuff and I haven even driven it 5000 miles yet. Things will fail over time and even more so if it been abused.

All old trucks will need stuff done to them, get used to it.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
That's what's happening with mine so far. Since I bought it, my heater hoses have all cracked and leaked, the seals on the block heater gave and started leaking coolant from the block, the truck never would get up to temp, so I pulled everything off to replace the Tstat with a Motorcraft one and found a big "Made in China" stamp on the one in it, the front Ujoint on the front driveshaft started making noise and was completely toast (and I mean the needle bearings were just gone...), the seals on my power steering unit are now fried and have soaked the driver side leaf springs with fluid (Ihave yet to replace that), my passenger power window quit, and finally, none of my power door locks are currently working even though I have confirmed they all get power. I still love my truck though and I get a hell of a kick out of working on it.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put a completely unknown to me drivetrain under my truck to do a 5 speed conversion and solve some suspension stuff since my truck used to have a completely custom suspension and I wanted to go back to factory. It has really nickled and dimed me the last few years but I keep telling myself okay that part of its fixed and I can move on to the next problem. I know I am slowly getting closer and that I will have an incredibly reliable rig. I hear you though it gets old putting thousands of dollars into a truck to have it sit in the driveway. The best part for me though is I don't have a vehicle payment.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
and yet I cannot sell my truck for $4500.
Heck I already did all the work to it.

Some people never figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online