The low mile truck is going under the knife, BIG TIME

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok guys, Im gearing up to do some major changes to my brown truck. Its going to be the truck I bring up to MN for school for the next few years.
Here's how the list goes.
Replace head gaskets, have heads gone through.
Install my 088 ATS turbo kit.
Install straight exhaust.
Convert to 4x4, install front TTB axle and steering components.
Install the ZF5 trans and transfer case.
Convert rear brakes to disk.
Install new gauge cluster with Tach.

Basically I've decided it'd be simpler to just pull the engine. It'll be easier to do the head work and mock up the turbo components, as well as being easier to convert and install the TTB front axle.
Im trying to decide if I should have the original 83 heads rebuilt, or buy raman 088 7.3 heads for it.
Im also throwing around pulling the pan and installing a new oil pump (even though it runs on the L most of the time on the factory gauge) to insure that it'll live a long time, as well as converting the oil cooler to the later style 4 ring cooler since the early ones are apparently prone to failure or something. Personally I've had less trouble with the older coolers than the new ones.
I'd install new bearings in the bottom end, but it only has 90k on it now and I am pushing my budget as it is.

You're opinions are all welcome and appreciated.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ah, I would just go though your heads, and maybe if you feel productive chance to rockers over to the 7.3 style. Pyro and boost gauges?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I already have the pyro and boost gauges.
I am in the process of trying to make a 3 pod pillar pod for the 80-87 interior. But I might have to temp something up. Its coming together really slow.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know money is tight but id go ahead and re-ring the motor, your rebuilding half the motor anyways and your adding a turbo, which makes the bottom end the weakest part. since its out and its easy to get to now why not? the other stuff will be easy with the motor out as wellso have fun, oh by the way how many times have you said to yourself "man if only i knew then what i know now" or "i knew i should have done that while it was there" just my .02 cents worth

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't easily use the 7.3 heads...it has been done I think but its a lot of work for minimal gain. The A series 6.9 may have slightly lower compression so for turbocharging its not a bad idea to keep those 83 heads. Just make sure the valves are happy. Have you considered ARP studs or some stronger headbolts? I can't say if the 6 ring oil coolers are any more prone to failure but the problem is that you cannot get parts for them from Ford very easily anymore. Plenty of later style parts still out there. Your thinking on an upgrade is good. I'm with Justin you should get the 7.3 style rockers, this was a design flaw that was fixed in 87. That said I and many others still have the strap rockers. I have a set of 7.3 rockers that will get installed if there is ever a failure.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, you're right. How much does a ring kit cost and what brand should I get?
Should I just do the bearings too? What brand on those as well?

If I make these two big sales here in the next month Im going to plan on doing everything. And I'll just plan on doing it within the next month or so.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I had a catastrophic rocker failure on my red truck (daily driver) that almost cost me my engine. It's never been right since then. Is there any place I can buy those rockers new?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id go rings, rods, mains,cam bearings and a oil pump,and have the heads redone and converted to the later style rockers and if you have time do some port matching, all new gaskets and blam ready for a turbo

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh topline would be about the best price and ive used there stuff before, good parts, also felpro makes good gaskets and trw,clevite,sealed power are basiclly the same company and parts so any of those are good

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Will do Keith.

Oh, Im going Fel Pro for all the gaskets. Im hoping the 94 valley pan has the grommet for the turbo pedestal.

Dave Sponaugle

Reaction score
My turbo is an ATS 093, the valley pan grommet that comes with the Fel Pro kit was not big enough for the turbo pedestal drain on my turbo.

May be different on the 088 unit.

Scratch the 7.3 heads, lots of work with no gain.
7.3 turbo exhaust valves, 7.3 rockers in 6.9 heads is a better approach.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You might want to rethink bringing the Brown Truck up to Mn.

4 winters like we have, and it'll be a rust bucket.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably going to need a special valley pan grommet for that pedestal. Good luck finding one though since ATS quit supporting these turbos. I got one of if not the last ones from Central Motive Power in New Mexico. Shop around with the various mail order ATS dealers or find a generic grommet that fits. I think the 093 grommet is different, but it is still available even from Ford from what I hear, should be the very same as the factory turbo. Perhaps someone can confirm if the valley pan grommet is different between the two turbos. It would also be nice if a generic grommet could be used. That's one reason I dread ever having to take that turbo off, either trying to find a replacement or reuse the old one..not fun. But you'll love this turbo, it'll be worth the work of hunting up the parts!