The IDI that wasn't

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
As a CAT fan i think that it would have been cool to have a Cat motor in a regular full-size pickup! I would have bought one! :thumbsup: Idea! Too bad they didnt make it an option

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Dude!NOT COOL!What idiot decided to ditch the Cat and stick with the IHC?The IHC might be a great engine but hell,a cat would sell!If they can sell the sick point OH.....just imagine what they could do with a good engine!Especially one with a name like CAT on it.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Especially if they made sure it had the "Cat" longevity.

We had a Cat 3208 in a Ford Dump for a while, ran great and forever. The guys family whom I sold it to, is still running it. They offered it back to me for $750 but never produced it or I would have bought it in a heart beat. I bought it at a college auction for $411 and drove it home. It did need some brake work, which I did. At the time I still lived at home with the parents. A guy (same guy I bought my current 87 F250 and the two other trucks who has since passed away) stopped by and offered me $3000 for it, which I was thrilled to get it out of my parents driveway and them off my back! :) I still think that even in his death, he was getting back at me for making money on that truck...

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I was digging around the Net for answers to Tom's post, and came up with this interesting tidbit.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E5DC1238F93BA25756C0A964948260

Seems the 6.9 was potentially a one shot deal eh? Marty Mcfly might have to get up to 88 MPH to tell us what could have happened.

And where would we be today? All of us that come together here daily or weekly may have never "met" if that had happened. Kinda like kids that wouldn't have happend if you hadn't met your spouse.

Thanks for the research Mel. I'm sure you know how to find halls of information that I could never find.

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well maybe would would have still met, but we'd have to talk about two completely different engines, and be familair with both, and experts on none.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
We would all still be here.Just you 83-87 types would be down in the Sub-Basement level while us 87-9whatever would be in the basement and like here.Oh,we would also be at each other like a powderjoke and IDI.But alas,No one would have to worry about cavitation.