The diary of my journey to the darkside.........

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hay Suess... 15 days since I updated this.

Well both motors are free, oil seal leaks internally on the ATS.... Hmm, $150 for a rebuild, or $200 to go through the upper end on this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Fawk IH.....:sly

(not really an IH hater, just stoked I have an I-6, DI, and made by Ferd...)

supposedly freshly rebuilt....

smaller pattern matches right up to my NP435.. now if the internals due....:dunno

I guess what really sealed the deal, is I should more easily be able to attain 300-325 at the crank. And it is torque heavy, so 700+ at that number, I believe is also real. I am gearing and lifting my truck to be long legged and tall in stature and by sheer body style, it is not aerodynamic (they don't call it a bricknose for nothing).

What really soured me on the deal, (running an IDI) was Lake City (local IH dealer) used to be 60% less than Vatozone or CSK O'reilly... now 100% more on what they have, and what they have is slim pickin's.(glow plug relay, $110 ar IH, 180 at either discount chain, and 350 at Ferd)

They told me "IDI's are dead. Old, outdated, we were starting to phase the parts out, and now that Ford and IH have severed ties, we are done with IDI stuff"...

Full rebuild on the 401 is $750, pistons etc. And that is the first place i looked, I may find it better than that.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having serious second thoughts abot the 401. BHG, rebuilt head and turbo, re installed, water in oil still, pulled bought different motor, moved forward.

If it is simply a bad/torn headgasketr, no sweat; if it the oil cooler has blown the o rings, no sweat... if it is a cracked block, I am 4 figures and 4 months from driving.

Big jump from a honey of an IDI, to a pig in a poke.

And now that homeless duck just backed out of the IDI deal (not upset at all), I am out the potential purchasing cash... so will buy the 401 a penny at a time, and go from there.

And install my 6.9 in the meantime.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I hear ya. I have to get my 401 a penny at a time too. It's at least worth looking at, to see where the leak is coming from. A couple tractor pull places back east do stroker kits, so you could be pushin 456 cubes from your 401.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically that would still be a 7.5, huh? the perversity of going from a 7.5 to a 7.5 is entertaining.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not mounted here, but I thought this was cool enough I spent 55 bux on it...

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Losing its cherry...

OUT!!!!!!

One of the cleanest Ferd motors ever, eh?
(not the mud splatters, the lack of goo is the reference...)

Gawd I loved that 460, required a second mortgage on the home to go 10 miles........

"to do" list and 39.5 Irok....

Jockey box is indicative of future interior color... unsure if I am keeping Chebby buckets or not, have a Taupe colored pair of Bronco buckets in Lether, with the inflatable lumbar... Daddy likes Lumbar support...

I FREAKING!!!!! love my gear shift knobbies... point that out almost first to every one that sees the truck... My idear for the longest, got tired of saying "one day" and made it happen here.... Eventully they will be 6.9 IDI pistons, currently something nautiocal, that was a 2 stroke...

The diesel will almost level it, as the 460 came damn close, 2" higher in the nose... I am going to change the rear springs around, these are the pack with matching block(s) from the diesel donor truck that gave me bellhousing, flywheel, turbo, front lift, rer Dana 70, etc. Though when I pulled and sold the Sterling, I would stick that axle under it ala cartte and see if it leveled the truck, as a donor, it sat level... Ennh, no.

Going to strip the factory 1990 350 springs down to 4 leaves, walking away fromt he overloads, and also the main "flat" leaf on the bottom, then do a reversal.

Non Hollywood side....

When is a tempo not a Tempo? When it is a tug boat.... used it to jerk mah hoss out of the barn... worked good too!

Whats left of the aforementioned donor truck....

the 460 prior to delivery on the bed of the worlds most lethargic 6.9... his 3.08 geared 6.2 I killed, woulda run circles around this thing.....loaded, woulda ran circles around this thing.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Losing its cherry...

OUT!!!!!!

One of the cleanest Ferd motors ever, eh?
(not the mud splatters, the lack of goo is the reference...)

Gawd I loved that 460, required a second mortgage on the home to go 10 miles........

"to do" list and 39.5 Irok....

Jockey box is indicative of future interior color... unsure if I am keeping Chebby buckets or not, have a Taupe colored pair of Bronco buckets in Lether, with the inflatable lumbar... Daddy likes Lumbar support...

I FREAKING!!!!! love my gear shift knobbies... point that out almost first to every one that sees the truck... My idear for the longest, got tired of saying "one day" and made it happen here.... Eventully they will be 6.9 IDI pistons, currently something nautiocal, that was a 2 stroke...

The diesel will almost level it, as the 460 came damn close, 2" higher in the nose... I am going to change the rear springs around, these are the pack with matching block(s) from the diesel donor truck that gave me bellhousing, flywheel, turbo, front lift, rer Dana 70, etc. Though when I pulled and sold the Sterling, I would stick that axle under it ala cartte and see if it leveled the truck, as a donor, it sat level... Ennh, no.

Going to strip the factory 1990 350 springs down to 4 leaves, walking away fromt he overloads, and also the main "flat" leaf on the bottom, then do a reversal.

Non Hollywood side....

When is a tempo not a Tempo? When it is a tug boat.... used it to jerk mah hoss out of the barn... worked good too!

Whats left of the aforementioned donor truck....

the 460 prior to delivery on the bed of the worlds most lethargic 6.9... his 3.08 geared 6.2 I killed, woulda run circles around this thing.....loaded, woulda ran circles around this thing.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Great progress sirrr! it would be better to see the trial fit of the 'little' 6.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm just curious but why do you have SD axles? What happened to your original D60 and sterling 10.25?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bough the truck, someone had ***** the Kingpin 60, and replaced it with a 3.54 HP44, Sterling was 4.10.

Huh, okay...

Traded HP44 for LP44, with 4.10's, never installed, flipped that straight into a 1979 Kingpin 60.. with 4.10's.

Wanted to keep the NP, in order to get the 4.10's down to where an IDI or a Big Block would be happy on the freeway, I woulda had to step up to a 44" tire.

That wasn't really feasible, already taller than I wanted sitting on 39.5's.

SO I traded my 79 axle for a S duty 60 3.73 geared and he also gave me the rims you see on the side with the 40's, and $300 cash. Then I sold the 4.10 geared Sterling for $400. Sold the rims it used to have (see avatar) for $100 and a Dana 70 with 3.73's. Dually axle, so we re geared the 70 the turbo donor truck had, and now I am 60 front, 70 rear 3.73 geared, $800 richer.. and will spin 2k at 70 WITH an NP435.

I maintained the almost 7:1 gearing of the NP granny gear, the almost 3:1 gearing of my 1356 t-case truck was born with, and I basically created a manual valve bodied E40d.... Highway manners, a 60:1 krawl ratio (have a buddy with a 727 equipped Ram chrger, and the standard 203/205 set up, twin sticks and the whole shooting match, and he is only 50:1...) and peak torque at what, 1400 rpm?

Should be relatively tame on the highway, 3rd is the new fourth, granny will be used everytime, and 4th will be the new OD.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bough the truck, someone had ***** the Kingpin 60, and replaced it with a 3.54 HP44, Sterling was 4.10.

Huh, okay...

Traded HP44 for LP44, with 4.10's, never installed, flipped that straight into a 1979 Kingpin 60.. with 4.10's.

Wanted to keep the NP, in order to get the 4.10's down to where an IDI or a Big Block would be happy on the freeway, I woulda had to step up to a 44" tire.

SO I traded my 79 axle for a S duty 60 3.73 geared and he also gave me the rims you see on the side with the 40's, and $300 cash. Then I sold the 4.10 geared Sterling for $400. Sold the rims it used to have (see avatar) for $100 and a Dana 70 with 3.73's. Dually axle, so we re geared the 70 the turbo donor truck had, and now I am 60 front, 70 rear 3.73 geared, $800 richer.. and will spin 2k at 70 WITH an NP435.

I maintained the almost 7:1 gearing of the NP granny gear, the almost 3:1 gearing of my 1356 t-case truck was born with, and I basically created a manual valve bodied E40d.... Highway manners, a 60:1 krawl ratio (have a buddy with a 727 equipped Ram chrger, and the standard 203/205 set up, twin sticks and the whole shooting match, and he is only 50:1...) and peak torque at what, 1400 rpm?

Should be relatively tame on the highway, 3rd is the new fourth, granny will be used everytime, and 4th will be the new OD.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Huh, okay...

Nice homework, great explanation, sounds like you should have the best of both worlds when you are done ;Sweet

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be either be dead to the nits perfect, or I am going to hate it, don't see much grey there... pass or fail.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor is essentially set as of tonight.. feel pretty good about that, kind of anticlimatic though....