the best oil pressure port

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 94 factory turbo truck where is the best place to install a oil pressure guage. My current sender is in the top of the turbo and is fed from the back of the block where the factory sender is installed in the na trucks. I am courious what the oil pressure is in my truck after the rebuild and want to install an actual guage.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is actually a very good place to tap in. You get the pressure after other things have drawn off so you are getting a min reading. If you don't want to disturb that setup, there is a small plug on the drivers side of teh block just aft of the oil cooler header that will accept an 1/8"npt fitting that is another good spot, you will need a REAL oddball female square plug socket to get that plug out, I don't have teh size offhand, but it's a snappy item.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Robert. I've got both of my IDI's setup with the aftermarket (real) oil pressure senders on the turbo's oil block. It's as far away from the oil pump as I could find. That should be the minmum pressure in the entire system. If it's good there, it's good everywhere else. Plus, I want to make sure my turbo's bearings are getting oil at sufficent pressure.

Heath

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Robert. I've got both of my IDI's setup with the aftermarket (real) oil pressure senders on the turbo's oil block. It's as far away from the oil pump as I could find. That's should the the minmum pressure in the entire system. If it's good there, it's good everywhere else. Plus, I want to make sure my turbo's bearings are going oil at sufficent pressure.

Heath
Just curious, what sort of pressure do you see at that port, and how does it compare to the pressure seen at the port that the n/a & aftermarket turbo trucks use?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it compairs, but I see 45-50 at RPM and 25 at idle when warm on the F250, 45 at RPM and 25 at idle on the F350.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm with Robert. I've got both of my IDI's setup with the aftermarket (real) oil pressure senders on the turbo's oil block. It's as far away from the oil pump as I could find. That should be the minmum pressure in the entire system. If it's good there, it's good everywhere else. Plus, I want to make sure my turbo's bearings are getting oil at sufficent pressure.

Heath

X2!

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to take the reading at the turbo but I would have to add a couple of nipples and a tee to make it work. I am afraid that if I add all of the fittings there is a chance the vibration could break the pipe fittings and make a big mess. I think I will hook up to the port near the oil cooler.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I've seen as low as 12 at a hot idle with a 370,000mile engine. 12 still doesn't worry me though. And it had 40 at 1700rpm down the highway

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF I saw 12psi oil pressure hot, I would freek out.:eek: I just cant feel good with that low of pressure holding my cranksaft off the bearings. Just makes me feel icky...:puke:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF I saw 12psi oil pressure hot, I would freek out.:eek: I just cant feel good with that low of pressure holding my cranksaft off the bearings. Just makes me feel icky...:puke:
That's actually pretty normal for these trucks.

For that matter, I currently see 10 (or slightly less) at idle and about 35 at freeway speeds. I had a different gauge in before I added my turbo, and that one showed a pretty consistent 10 psi at idle and 40 psi when cruising, so I'm hoping that it's just this gauge...but it's also why I'm so interested in Gary's talked-about procedure for adjusting the oil pressure relief valve in the oil cooler header...although, since I have an early 6-ring cooler and IIRC you can't get the inner rings for them anymore, messing with my oil cooler opens up a whole other can of worms... :(

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed a tee at the factory turbo a couple years back. i havent had any issues with the vibration creating a leak. I agree in wanting to see exactly what pressure my turbo bearings are getting. when truck is warm i get 15-20 psi at idle, cruising im right around 40. i run rotella 5w 40 synthetic.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed a tee at the factory turbo a couple years back. i havent had any issues with the vibration creating a leak. I agree in wanting to see exactly what pressure my turbo bearings are getting. when truck is warm i get 15-20 psi at idle, cruising im right around 40. i run rotella 5w 40 synthetic.

Did you remove the oil pressure sender from the top of the turbo and install a tee or did you put a tee in the oil feed tube. Also did you use brass or black iron fittings. I just want to make sure I use something that has been tested.