The beast may have to go

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the other day I towed my boat out to the lake and like i thought the truck did a great job but I when I got home to put the boat back in the garage the truck was soooooo long it was impossible to get the boat in the driveway I had to drive in the neighbors front lawn to get the darn rig backed in my driveway.-cuss Needless to say my neighbor was not to happy about me driving in there front yard so now the point of me buying the truck is almost null and void I need a truck or other type rig but it cant be as long. So sad as it is to think of I think I may have to get rid of my truck eaither that or get a bigger peace of property:dunno So after the body work is complete on the truck I think its going to go up for sale if anyone is going to be looking for a 1 ton drw rig:eek: not sure of anything just yet but more then likely Ill need to sell the truck for something smaller :bail

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait let me get this straight... you are going to sell your truck because it doesn't have the turning radius you want/need? Surely there is another option to this.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we were using my wifes jeep to tow the boat and had no problems so it never occurred to me that my truck would be tooo long I'm not too sure that different suspension would help i mean its not that the truck doesn't almost make it Its like not even close putting the boat in the driveway actually its a pain just to back in my driveway with just the truck and then add the boat and that equals mission impossible:eek:-cuss Like I said I haven't made up my mind on anything yet

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a front mounted hitch. Seriously- you could drive the boat through a drivethru lane with a front mounted hitch. It's a pain to unhook and re-hook up the boat once you get home, but it'll keep you outta the neighbors yard.

Ryan

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front mount receiver huh? that might work I was looking at building a new front bumper that might work be alot easier then looking for another truck since ive put soo much wok into this one

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how big your boat is, but I like the idea of a longer, heavier truck for towing boats. Personally one of the reasons I got the IDI in the first place, long body, lots of weight=less fishtailing and more likely I make it home in one piece, so I was always taught. My boat is a 20' Crtichfield..old hull similar to a Cobia...not much more than 3000lbs boat trailer and fishing gear. Overkill...its not a bad thing.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how big your boat is, but I like the idea of a longer, heavier truck for towing boats. Personally one of the reasons I got the IDI in the first place, long body, lots of weight=less fishtailing and more likely I make it home in one piece, so I was always taught. My boat is a 20' Crtichfield..old hull similar to a Cobia...not much more than 3000lbs boat trailer and fishing gear. Overkill...its not a bad thing.

I agree with you 100% thats why I got mine so we wouldn't use the jeep plus the jeep Is a Chrysler product so it brakes all the time:eek: (seriously) The truck tows way way better anyway I actually kinda miss the beast its been at my buddy's house getting all the body work done so when it comes home I'll look at working things out to be able to put the boat in my yard:thumbsup:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a front mounted hitch. Seriously- you could drive the boat through a drivethru lane with a front mounted hitch. It's a pain to unhook and re-hook up the boat once you get home, but it'll keep you outta the neighbors yard.

Ryan

+1 on the front mount hitch, it's easy to push your trailer in anywhere when you can watch it out your windshield. I am in process of cutting up a class 3 reciever and putting it on my 93, I will document the process if you are interested in reproducing. You could just buy a premade kit but what's the fun in that?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I like the front hitch idea but while you are building that you could just use the jeep to put it in place at the house and use the truck everywhere else.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea we've been using the jeep but i hate that thing the rear end blew up in it the other day it was covered under warranty but still Chrysler stuff is junk and the dealerships are a pain. Thats another reason I got the truck was so we could get rid of the Jeep cause it costs so much and its a POS the Mercedes diesel in it is great but the rest of the jeep is pure junk and the dealers wont fix anything so y bother owning int rightcookoo

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on craigslist for a cheap forklift. I've seen a bunch lately in the $400-700 range in my area. You cut a hole on one fork to mount a ball and chain the fork so it won't pop up. You'll have excellent manuver capabilities plus you'll be able to all the usual forklift stuff life load handling, engine swaps and quick tire changes on that dually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat