thanks to OB, i now have a rebuilt and 5 speed swapped F250!

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZn4zkyFfVM

this would not have been possible without all the help i got from guys on this site... be it parts or advice.

this was the first motor i have ever completely rebuilt.

it was also the first auto -> manual swap i have ever done.

there was a lot of potential for error but the resources provided by this site and its members kept that to a minimum, AND it is factory-appearing right down to the shift knob.

thanks a ton... or in this case a 3/4 ton :love: ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Looks good! Have you taken her out for a spin yet?

The ZF is night and day compared to a tranny without overdrive ;Sweet Do you have 3.54's or 4.10's?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
Congratulations! Looks good! Have you taken her out for a spin yet?

The ZF is night and day compared to a tranny without overdrive ;Sweet Do you have 3.54's or 4.10's?
thanks very much.

yeah its been out a few times now... i didnt want to say it's ready yet until i had put some miles on it and made sure the hoses werent gonna blow off, wheels were still round, etc. im gonna take it out for its first tank of fresh diesel tonight... gotta go at nighttime for now because the state inspection sticker is expried.

all in all it feels pretty good. clutch hydraulics are still a little iffy.

i have a 4.10 final drive right now.

1994IDI

Reaction score
It's gonna love to run, and you are gonna love to run it! Looks great, and sounds better. congrats.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good going. Nice clean install, you couldn't tell it didn't come from the factory like that. Engine sounds real good too.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats man! Gotta love it when a projects comes to completion. You get to enjoy the fruits of your labor and know all is well in your IDI world.

Heath

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
put tanks of fresh diesel in it tonight, whee what fun... im definitely going to like driving this thing ;Sweet

flybear

Reaction score
I just finished the C-6 to ZF swap myself. Love it so far. I do have a bad synchro though..... anyone know where to get teardown/rebuild info? I have a factory service book for 87 but it doesn't include the 5 speed. I'd rather not have to get another one if I don't have to.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i love my c6-zf5 swap.

manual swap isn't that hard. Going the other direction sucks as you never have all the brackets.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a ZF supplement on the garage computer, will check for it tomorrow

I'd like to have a copy of that too please. I'm in the middle of my swap and the ZF5 is suppoed to have an issue shifting into reverse. I shifts just fine in reverse sitting on the shop floor.:rotflmao

Heath