Thanks to all/ Fond memories of my IDI

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I regrettably had to let my 89 F350 IDI go- despite really low mileage, all of the age-related things started to fail in quick succession (hoses, alternator, heater core....) and even though it was all stuff I am able to fix, I was spending every available dollar and minute fixing it (it was my only daily driver), which just didn't work with being a single dad who is lucky enough to have my son 1/2 time, and the job, etc.; I crossed path with a guy whose kids are grown, knows this series rig, and who has the time, and so now he's the 'keeper' and glad to have it.

I miss it, and I miss this group, but so it goes. At least I had the opportunity to experience both.

I have often thought of and appreciated the great knowledge, ingenuity, and 'culture' on this group- I've been on a lot of interest-based internet groups, and this group has the best "signal to noise" ratio I have ever experienced, combined with a welcoming outlook and a eager willingness to help.

So, thank you all, enjoy your IDIs, and long may you roll.

PS, I got back every dime I had in the truck after driving it for 3 years and about 13,000 miles, the best I've ever done on a vehicle...

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I whole heartdly agree with everything you've said about this bunch. Sorry to hear you've had to part ways with your rig, but you are always welcome to drop by and say howdy! Perhaps one day things will work for you to where you will be able to own another IDI but until then, good luck and stop by.

jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad to learn you passed on your truck but its good to know someone is taking care of it too. No reason you have to own an idi to post of visit here. We welcome all to this forum.. Even the dodge boys are welcome here...:angel::eek: Some of our more famous members have changed to the Cummins engines for their individual needs too. They are still welcome here.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
You will be back. I sold mine for the same reasons in 2000. It had 300,000 miles on it.I bought a 2000 chevy, engine went at 90000 and then got a 2009 gmc, cam went at 30000 and oil psi dropped from 40 to 20 psi so I sold it and bought a 94 idi and love it. I still see my old truck running around town. Good luck with whatever you get.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Maybe your new vehicle fits in here? There are forum sub divisions for gassers and the like. Best of luck and hope you get another idi some day!

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've now got a recent model Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD for my daily driver, and it's a darn good truck. It's not as much of a pure truck as the F350 was (what is?) but it is still truck-enough to do most of the things that I want a truck for (pull, carry heavy big dirty stuff), and despite its competence, it's not got a lot of character. I've got an old Dodge M37 in my barn awaiting moderate re-assembly, and an old Russian sidecar motorcycle that gives me plenty to turn wrenches on (the bike would run through hell and back, though you need to fix minor to medium stuff really often to keep it rolling). I really like diesels- at least the simple ones- but with the consistently ridiculous price premium of diesel over gas, it's hard to know if I'll have one again as a main vehicle.

If I could wave a magic wand I'd like something about the size of the early Toyota Tundra, but with robustness and simplicity like an IDI F350 with a kingpin Dan 60 front axle and cast iron manual everything, and while I am dreaming, I'd probably wish for an inline 6 turbodiesel (all mechanical)(I like the simplicity and non-cluttered layout of the inline 6). Along with the fact that nobody would be allowed to build/sell that now, the number of other customers who'd buy it is probably vanishingly small. The modern diesel trucks with poseur styling and overcomplicated systems make me want to wretch.