Test this heater core

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done replacing the front fuel tank in my truck. It was a disaster. Finally get the truck done and take it for a drive and I see the ****** winshield only above where the heater core sits. Park truck and next morning in the garage there is a one foot puddle of coolant by the passenger tire, no coolant anywhere else and it looks like it was leaking from the two nipples of the core into the engine bay. It's wet under them anyways.

So I order a new motorcraft core and replace it, but this one that I pulled out except for one row of fins looks fine. It does have some gouges from knives cutting off old heater hose from it, so I don't know if it's cracked there. I'd like to test it to make sure it doesn't leak, or if it does on the nipples find out where and see if I could get a hose over it far enough to still have it be a potential replacement for one of my other three trucks as these things are over 100$..

What would you guys do to test this thing? Just compressed air to a certain psi? I'm just not sure why it was leaking in the truck to begin with after looking at it, surely it wasn't just bad heater hoses but at least I'll be all new stuff in this truck.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
I usually just put the core in a tub of water, use blowgun in one pipe, with thumb over the other. Doesn't take a lot of pressure

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
I bought new gates hose at napa auto for the 93.
Now it leaks, thinking the core went I reaplaced it only to find the hose was permeable!

Btw rad cap is what 13#??
I would not go much over the oem cap pressure.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious. I too found a spot of coolant on the floor the other day and started thinking heater core. I can’t find a wet spot anywhere up around the heater box though. I have dye in my system so I planned on getting the uh light out eventually.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Fwiw
I bought new gates hose at napa auto for the 93.
Now it leaks, thinking the core went I reaplaced it only to find the hose was permeable!

Btw rad cap is what 13#??
I would not go much over the oem cap pressure.

Gates quality strikes again. Been burnt 3 times by their junk now.

13lbs is factory pressure.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's bad. Not very bad but still likely the issue.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yours is leaking at the tube to hedder below the right connection. We test them @18psi. Not repairable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online