Test Run with Just Downpipe?

Chip

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just finished putting in a new set of injectors, (Marine type from SSDiesel). I'm also going to install a 4" exhaust system (also from SSDiesel). Question: To test that everything is working correctly after the injector install, can I put on just the downpipe from the new exhaust system and start-up the diesel and let it run for 20 – 30 minutes without doing any damage to the motor? Any other issues with this?

Thank you,

Chip

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It should not hurt anything. I have run all kinds of diesels with just a downpipe or stack and have never had a single problem because of it. Well, any problem other than a dam loud engine anyway.
Ken

Chip

Reaction score
NJKen,

Thanks for the reply - a few more parts to reassemble and I'll be ready to let it roar!

Thanks again,

Chip

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
ran around for a day with just a down pipe on my diesel after my turbo, did the same when my exhaust broke behind the y pipe. beside fumes and noise it is fine. some believe that it can hurt an engine if there is no manifold and the exhaust valve is exposed to regular "cold" air that it can warp stuff. either way if you have at least a manifold on its not a problem.

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, I have run it without the turbo installed....shoots exhaust out the manifold pretty good....don't stomp on it or you'll turn your hood black....lol