tensioner

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
That’s the old style tensioner, had this on my 93 (92.5 motor). In my opinion the shock slows the response of the tensioner and causes more issues once the tensioner weakens.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had both styles of tensioner on my truck and each has failed. The shock version did seem to chirp the belt when it was cold a little more than the non-shock version. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that neither is designed heavy enough for the 7.3 application. That's a pretty good price, however, keep in mind that any Ford dealership should warranty a new tensioner for one year, which you won't get on FleaBay.

I have also heard some folks claim that NAPA sells a tensioner that seems to works better, but I can't confirm it. All I can say about the Ford version is no matter which one you run, both are failure prone, so pay attention to belt squeal so you can replace it before it comes apart and takes the belt and idler pulley with it (no, the dealer won't replace those parts if they get taken out with the tensioner).

Good luck

R. J.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i am not looking for a tensioner right now it just happened to come up when i did a search and i have never seen one with a shock like that before and was curious as to what it was, an update or an older version. last time i needed a tensioner i got the higher end one from napa and it seems too be holding up pretty good but i still get a little squeal when i first start it up. :mad:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: what did you pay and how long/how many miles on your Napa version?

R. J.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never permenantly gotten rid of the chirp. 2 belts, then belt& tennsioner(Ford part) but I still hear it sometimes. Its been about a 2 years since I put the tennsioer on, so maybe I'm about due for a belt again.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Check your idler pulley. I regularly take them off and inject a little grease into the sealed bearing, with a hypodermic needle.

FYI, the shock tensioner will not just bolt onto a rig that did'nt come with one from the factory. The accessory mounts on the engine are a little different.