Temperature sensor 83 6.9

CrippledEagle

Reaction score
I feel like such a newby sometimes . I for the life of me cannot find information about the location of the temperature sensor on my 83 F250 6.9. My temperature gauge doesn’t show hardly anything even after driving 30 miles when definitely it should be showing something. I wanted to check the sensor and wiring before I pull my dash to put a new speedometer cable in it and renew the bulbs.
Just exactly where is the sensor? I bought a new one with a round post so if it is bad, I can change it.
I replaced the thermostat with a Motorcraft while I was replacing the water pump and hoses.
Thank You in advance!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shown in the upper left picture below. The diagram below are for a 1985, so I am assuming a 1983 is the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's on the angled part of the block. In front of the driver's side head, behind and below the A/C compressor (assuming that you have one). You'll need an 11/16" wrench or socket to remove it. Just so you know, the factory gauges are just idiot lights that move and aren't real accurate.

CrippledEagle

Reaction score
Thank you! So it’s hidden behind the air conditioner compressor and possibly other things. I just spent a few days putting a water pump, thermostat, lift pump, all hoses and belts and an entire set of new injection lines and one injector. Wish I had found this problem before now when it was all apart.
My heater core went “Tango Uniform” two days ago and when checking pressures, I found a multiple place leaking radiator . New heater core bought and new 4 core radiator on its way. One day I will quit having to spend my retirement check on it!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will warn you, do not expect much heat from these engines until you run them down the road for awhile. If you let it sit and idle in the driveway, they never seem to warm up, even with the thermostat working and closed.

I have a 09 powerstroke at work and it's the same way, I never get heat till I go down the highway for 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online