sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
According to the link posted by Willie Two

RED-goes from Cold side of Stop Light Switch to the Controller
BLACK-Constant Battery Hot into Controller
WHITE-Ground
BLUE-Controller to Trailer Plug

That's the same as on every brake controller I have ever wired. I have 5 or six different kinds around here and they all use that scheme.

gandalf

Reaction score
I just went out to look at my controller. It is a Tekonsha 2030 Mk 12, according to the labeling on the front. It is very definitely an older model. It was on the truck when I bought it.

It has a slide control on the front, which I think will manually apply the trailer brakes if needed, over and above the normal amount. There is an adjustment wheel, I believe for the gain setting, and there is a single red light which comes on every time I step on the brakes.

I've never actually used it, since I do not own a trailer. My towing has been with UHaul trailers, which have had surge brakes. Also, towing is pretty well prohibited because I have a cabover camper sitting in the bed as a pretty constant thing. It's too long to allow towing.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I too have a poor memory, but I believe my little red lite turns green when the trailer is connected, amber when the brakes are applied and finally red upon full application of the brake pedal.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Tekonsa Voyager Brake Controller, and yes there is an LED on top of the unit that is off when the trailer is not connected, it is green when the trailer is connected, and changes from green, thru amber, and to red depending on how "hich" I have it set, if the gain is down it just goes to yellow, if the gain is high, it goes to red......

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Tekonsa Voyager Brake Controller, and yes there is an LED on top of the unit that is off when the trailer is not connected, it is green when the trailer is connected, and changes from green, thru amber, and to red depending on how "hich" I have it set, if the gain is down it just goes to yellow, if the gain is high, it goes to red......

That's how my Voyager is, well, was before I screwed up the trailer plug.
The first time I pulled anything with it, I thought the controller wasn't working. I later found out it is an inertia type progressive controller, and not a timed controller like i's used to in all of our older trucks. It has a sensor in there that needs to be leveled up for it to work correctly, and I didn't know about it until the other day when I stumbled upon this thread.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have a poor memory, but I believe my little red lite turns green when the trailer is connected, amber when the brakes are applied and finally red upon full application of the brake pedal.

Mine is definitely a Tekonsha electronic unit, and the top of the line twenty-some years ago when I bought it.

I pull trailers almost every day, but it has been years since anything with electric brakes has been hooked to my truck, so what I say could very well be wrong.

I am fairly sure that, when I plug into a trailer that has electric brakes, one little red LED comes on, then a whole row of them light up progressively as the brakes are applied.

But then, what you state about the color-changing LED also sounds familiar and it may very well be like that instead. :dunno

I need to hook the brake wire to a spot-light or such and see just what it does do.LOL

The electric controller just goes along for the ride with these big vacuum-over-hydraulic systems. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online