tekonsha brake controller ??

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
My truck has a brake controller installed by (I presume) the PO. Its a black brick mounted in a bracket below the dash and above the accelerator. TEKONSHA is lettered on the side but there is no model info. It has a slide switch on the end and a single red LED that goes on when the brake pedal is pressed. There is a 6 pin trailer connector on the rear bumper that has been damaged beyond repair.

I'd like to confirm correct wiring from +12V power to the controller and then on to a (replaced) trailer connector.

I have sent 2 emails to Tekonsha asking them how to determine the model # of my controller and get owner/installer info for it. They have ignored me.

Does anyone on the forum have any info?

Thanks,

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used those diagrams for mine.

good job finding that willie two.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
clicky.

You should be able to match it up to one there, which will give you the model number. They make very good controllers. I have 2 of them.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Thanks Willie.

I looked at my controller more closely - It has a second slide switch on the left side labelled MIN - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - MAX. And its says Tekonsha and Solid State on the front. It looks to be older (and maybe simpler) than the Voyager. But the wire colors seem to be the same.

Apex - yeah I had previously checked Tekonsha's web page. They only show the new stuff (and they didn't seem to want to talk to me about the old stuff). My controller was probably new in '88 or '89.

Regards,

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
When I updated my controller a few years back I remember the colors being the same between old and new. If need be I can untape the connections and confirm wiring for you. Best of luck to you.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I wired one and CONFIRM this before following.

BLUE = HOT

WHITE = TRAILER

RED = BRAKE SWITCH ---cold side

BLACK = GROUND

How close am I ??? ;Really

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the link posted by Willie Two

RED-goes from Cold side of Stop Light Switch to the Controller
BLACK-Constant Battery Hot into Controller
WHITE-Ground
BLUE-Controller to Trailer Plug

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I wired one and CONFIRM this before following.

BLUE = HOT

WHITE = TRAILER

RED = BRAKE SWITCH ---cold side

BLACK = GROUND

How close am I ??? ;Really

According to the link posted by Willie Two

RED-goes from Cold side of Stop Light Switch to the Controller
BLACK-Constant Battery Hot into Controller
WHITE-Ground
BLUE-Controller to Trailer Plug

Surely I didn't get three wires wrong :dunno ; I can't sleep when I mess up that bad :eek:.

I can't wait for daylight so I can poke my head under the dash and see for sure. :confused:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I think they keep the plugs the same between the controllers. I was given a p3 for free & when I unplugged my Prodigy I noticed it was the same plug so I just plugged in the p3 & it works great.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not calling anybody out, or anything like that. All I'm doing is putting forth the information that I have stumbled across.
The wire colors are what's listed on the link Willie Two posted, and the folks at www.etrailer.com
I went out and looked at the Tekonsha Voyager in my truck, and it's wired this way too.
Sorry you're stressing out about it MIDNIGHT RIDER.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
That sucks tekonsha didn't reply to you. I e-mailed tham about last year about wiring a controller that was about 13 years old and they sent me the info I needed. I eventually went with a tekonsha prodigy controller, and was much happier with the performance though.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks tekonsha didn't reply to you. I e-mailed tham about last year about wiring a controller that was about 13 years old and they sent me the info I needed. I eventually went with a tekonsha prodigy controller, and was much happier with the performance though.

What did you have in there before the Prodigy?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
What did you have in there before the Prodigy?

I cant remember what model it was, I had pulled it from my mothers truck when I parted it out and it had been installed when the truck was new in january of 1995. It had woodgrain trim and I think I sold it for $5 on CL. LOL