Tech article question - e4od front pump

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the upgrades I'm definitely doing in both of these e4ods are the pumps with the higher volume (post 1995) but I'm struggling finding specs or part numbers to make sure I don't buy the same I already have (pre 1994)

Does anyone know the part numbers for them or have access to ford OEM part manuals that I can use for cross reference?

I want to try to get these done before other work goes nuts again haha.

gandalf

Reaction score
The transmission in my truck was rebuilt by the previous owner. I bought the truck in 2002, so there is a fair chance the rebuild was after 1995. I have the receipt for that rebuild, somewhere. The problem is finding it. I'll try to think where it might be.

I do, however, have 3 old posts about upgrading the E4OD. I'd suggest reading them. I'd be happy to send the by email. They're too large to paste in here. Is your address still "[email protected]"? If not, and if you'd like them, send me an updated email, using FaceBook Messenger.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E9 (’89-’94) This is the one you want to get rid of

F5 (’95) One year only, better flow/higher pressure than E9
F8 (’98 E4OD) This is supposed to be the best one

This is a pretty good article that points out all the upgrades in good detail. There's a lot of folks who like the "Monster in a Box" version, but I have to say: if you know what you are looking for and you can live with installing well inspected used parts where acceptable, I think you can piece one together for less if you are patient and don't count the time searching. I had an excellent trans builder when I lived in Vancouver, and I was really surprised how confident he was in a good used pump. I was skeptical, but he sent me to Portland to a big trans parts warehouse to pick up a good used pump for my C4 transmission in my Pinto. I couldn't believe I was going to put a pump in that was less than $25 in a ten second car with a pretty loose converter, but he insisted and told me not to give it a second thought as my pump was functioning but showed some visible wear. After he installed the pump, the pressure increased measurably by about 40 psi, and my car picked up almost a tenth, and the trans never missed a beat.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/...rhaul-for-heavy-duty-towing-and-off-road-use/

Fredrickson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to 1995, Ford E4OD pump castings were designated as E9 or F1 and had 11 lobes on outer gear.

Those castings suffered from low pump output and were superceded in 1995 with F5 and in 1998 with F8 castings, containing 10 lobes on outer gear.

An E4OD E9 or F1 casting should be replaced with an F5 or F8 casting.

1998 E4OD/4R100 PUMP BODY CASTING NUMBER RF-F81P-7A105-AA
E4OD PUMP BODY CASTING NUMBER RF-F5TP-7A105-AA

Last edited:

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes!!! This is exactly the information I needed!! Thank you everyone!

Yes my email is the same @gandalf

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of these on CD, maybe both? But thank you for the links, I'll see which one I don't have and do some downloading

Thank you so much

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the one getting pushed to front of line is a friend with a hot shot truck, so it is always towing and always on the highway. $$$$$$

I'll get to mine eventually

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance