TECH 101 Fire Extinguisher mount

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mounted my extinguisher in my cab today, I know I know....why:dunno when I am changing cabs in a while. Well it's a safety issue for me. I'm in a high fire hazard area, I have been 1st or near 1st on scene on a few accidents and subsequently pack a decent first aid kit too!

So how and where?

First where, I mounted it so it can be accessed from either door and grabbed quickly! Behind my transmission shifter in front of my seat.

HOW

Well this was both the easy and hard part by myself all in one!

First I laid out my location by placing the mounting bracket on the floor and marking the four holes with a felt pen,

Second I too a 5/8" hole punch, the type for gaskets etc and punched through as much vinyl mat and sound deadener as possible. I actually got lots of material out.

Third, Centre punch the floor pan so I can drill with my step drill.

Forth Drill out the holes accordingly to size my holes became 5/16"

Fifth, this is where it gets tricky, pass the bolts through the mount and floor! Now longer bolts would be better but I had these from a previous mount setup!

Here is my solution to my 5th step!

I took some rail iron I had floating around the shop, about near 3 feet and set that on top of my bolt with my wrench in place on the bolt head. You can see me pointing to this here, also notice the FE on the seat.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had to support the opposing end so I blocked it up with a 4x4 after if slipped off the basket ball I previously used

Here is my close up of how well the wrench was held

I had to reach up above the transmission between the floor pan and transmission to put the nuts on wow tough!

Anyway, here is my end result with extinguisher mounted.

That bout sums up my setup.

I feel more comfortable knowing I've got something in case of fire that can be easily grabbed at any time.

Thanks for reading

Al

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really good.
Good point on the position for the FE, meaning you can grab it from either side.
Few seconds running around the cab could make a big difference.

How hard was it to get at the nuts between the cab and trans???
Im thinking that could be tricky, lots of scraped knuckles & fingers.

One other thought, this is a good way to start the tech stuff you were talking about.

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop rivets or rivet nuts would work if you couldn't get to underside.

Tim.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop rivets could work but I have large washers underneath and thus am assured that in worst case that bracket will not tear off the tunnel It is actually mounted to tunnel cover in reality. It works well with this method, that is till I have to remove trans tunnel cover!

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Great idea. I think I'm going to mount a fire extinguisher too.

BTW, love the haywire on the shifter. :)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some constructive criticism: More work, but for those of us with bare floors, wouldn't it be easier to just remove the hump?
After marking holes of course....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some constructive criticism: More work, but for those of us with bare floors, wouldn't it be easier to just remove the hump?
After marking holes of course....

Not sure what you mean by MORE work, unless you are referring to undoing the bolts that retain that shift tunnel cover, then yes that would be more work for sure but much more simple to do if you have no carpet or have any vinyl floor covering the tunnel cover.

Thanks that's a Good point to bring up.

BTW
I didn't even remove the cover to swap my transmission. I just popped off the shfter boot, then undid shifter then the shifter stub out of transmission and stuck a rag in there!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like it but wonder what the short leg girls do when they need to move the seat up so they can reach the peddles. Or do you have peddle blocks ready to go...:eek::rotflmao:angel: That really is a perfect location for the extingusher. Being able to reach it from either door is a great idea. I too like all the "stuff" on the shifter.. Whats that all about Al..:dunno:angel:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Al.. All that work to hold the wrench.. Wouldn't a pair of vice grips have worked better...:dunno I have done things like that when I was alone. When I installed my hydroboost I couldn't pressure bleed the brakes. No help. So I pumped up the peddle and then layed a couple of heavey concrete blocks on it. Then bled down the system.. Worked ok but I'm sure I should rebleed the system. When I panic stop and hit the peddle hard the rears lock up for a milisecond. Then it almost feels like I have no brakes but a hard peddle. Nothing locks up and no amount of additional peddle pressure will change the brakeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online