tearing down the 7.3.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
started tearing down the 7.3 in my 94. got driver's side valve covers off then it got dark, what is the easiest way to remove everything else? i am labeling all of my nuts and bolts, and keeping everything as clean as i can. nothing looks out of place on the drivers side yet. this thing is leaking some serious water internally. any help would be great. thanks!618-444-3951

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The most important thing is to remove the head bolts only 1/4 turn at a time, in the reverse of the tightening order. Repeat until all bolts are finger tight, then spin them out.
Removing them all in one step with an impact is a sure way to crack the heads.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I found sandwich bags are very useful to keep track of bolts. You can write on them with*a sharpie so yøu know what's what later.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure enough... Sandwich bags or freezer storage bags works great but you really need to use the sharpy method of marking ALL the bags. Things go together so much easier when you can "find parts and bolts".

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also say use bags and label them. It will save you time when you bolt it back together.

Is the motor out of the truck? It will be much easier to take down if it is. Just use an engine stand that can hold at least 1500 lbs.

Get a Haynes manual. It's not perfect, but it has tons of useful info. and has the correct head torque pattern and other torque values you will need. And, like stated above, reverse that sequence when removing the heads.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drilled holes in a 2X4 and used it to keep track of the push rods and rocker arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online