Tapping Noise

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a sharp tapping noise in my IDI. Will try to attach a sound file. Has anyone ever heard of this sound in your IDI? Most pronounced when cold as I just started and it is starting to go away.
1992 F350 cab and chassis flatbed Custom 5 speed
Been driving this for 3 years solid every day.
Can anyone explain how to attach a sound file please?

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried to upload a sound file from phone but the extension is an .m4a from an android, will have to convert it to an mp3 I guess.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I click to upload the mp3 file, I choose a folder where the mp3 is, but all the files there are ghosted out. Maybe I don't have permission to upload here on oilburners. I have to figure this one out.

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When this happens, get a length of hose to put between valve cover & your good ear to see which side of engine the sound is originating. May be a rocker, lifter or exhaust leak that stops/lessens when engine heats up.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will do that tomorrow morning when I crank her up. Doesn't do it everytime. Seems like it is smack dab in the middle.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Past 3 engines I've had with that centered "tap" that went away once warm slowly started taking longer to go away till it did it all the time. Didn't get louder, just started to continue after warm up. All 3 times have eventually turned into a definite knock and loss of power and hesitation. When pulled could find nothing wrong till I got to the bottom end and found on the crankshaft. Rear two connecting rod bearings as well as the rear main bearing being worn out.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This one took a while to finish cooking off. Took about 17 lbs of regular boost daily from wes' 3582 turbo and his 110 cc ip the last whole year it was "ticking" lol. Pray your issue isn't the same as mine.

nhwrench01

Reaction score
try pushing up on the starter when its ticking, mine did that . ticking, sometimes cold, sometimes more in reverse. ... was dreading what i would find. then , laying under the truck, with the ticking, it sounded loud by the starter, so i pushed up on it, and it stopped ... time for a new starter.. was not the flex plate or loose bolts. easy fix.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Past 3 engines I've had with that centered "tap" that went away once warm slowly started taking longer to go away till it did it all the time. Didn't get louder, just started to continue after warm up. All 3 times have eventually turned into a definite knock and loss of power and hesitation. When pulled could find nothing wrong till I got to the bottom end and found on the crankshaft. Rear two connecting rod bearings as well as the rear main bearing being worn out.

Thanks for the reply and pictures. This truck was given to me 3 and a half years ago. Been running it steady solid as a work truck. I noticed 2 years ago a small growl in the back of the engine when starting cold but goes away after a minute or so.
The truck had a replacement engine in it the previous owner had put in. It is a 92 F350 cab and chassi flatbed with a zf5 and 4:10 rear end.
I like this truck immensly and would not want to be without it although dreamed plenty of putting in a 3:70 somethin rear end. It is a dually and will pull anything, just not fast.
Last week or so it was hesitating while driving so yesterday pulled fuel pump, removed arm and reinstalled with fresh gasket, then installed an electric fuel pump with a filter before it feeding from the front tank (no more tank switching valve. Runs immensly better.
Cannot afford to rebuild engine at this point. Needs a fresh IP and injectors I assume but always cranks up within 1 second so will baby it.
Thanks again for the reply. Anyone out there have a good used 7.3 NA for sale?

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try pushing up on the starter when its ticking, mine did that . ticking, sometimes cold, sometimes more in reverse. ... was dreading what i would find. then , laying under the truck, with the ticking, it sounded loud by the starter, so i pushed up on it, and it stopped ... time for a new starter.. was not the flex plate or loose bolts. easy fix.

I will check that tomorrow morning, the starter. I have 2 extra mitsubishi starters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online