Tank vent mod

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
OK who's dunnit? and how?
A tech article is needed for those (me) cookoo who seem to not be able to locate it.

Tired of them 30 minute fillups along with the guys behind me. :backoff :backoff :backoff

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
With The E I never experienced the slow filling rear tank problem. She must have been converted before I got my hands round her (neck)..

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago I simply crawled under mine and eliminated the plastic valves that were restricting the vent.

This put a stop to fuel puking back out all over me.

I didn't know there was anything complicated that I should have done.

It has worked fine for years.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
My rear tank fills full speed but my front one takes forever. I just use the rear and save the front for backup use only.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK here is the site to really get it done.

http://www.dzljim.com/Ford/tank_vent_mod.htm

I did mine and it is well worth it. I purchased the fittings at Tractor Supply in Westminster. The easiest way is to modify the tank fittings and let the epoxy setup over night. Then do the necks and pop the fittings in the next day. The necks are not hard to do at all, about 15 minutes is all it takes.

I had the advantage of replacing my rear tank with a Transfer Flow which has a fitting in the side. Otherwise the rear tank is hard to reach at the top, and it is a bit hard to get down.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Years ago I simply crawled under mine and eliminated the plastic valves that were restricting the vent.

This put a stop to fuel puking back out all over me.

I didn't know there was anything complicated that I should have done.

It has worked fine for years.

Those are there to keep fuel from coming out in a rollover or if the tank level get above them. Especially if you 'top it off,' you can have the fuel level above those vents. Big leak!!
James

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well tomorrows list took a few days long to get to. cookoo
But, got the mod somewhat done. Photos to follow this evening as 2 sick little ones sitting on my lap under the weather this am is limiting my mobility. :rolleyes:
I removed the vent assembly on the front tank and found that it was nothing more than just a vent. No check valve just adapting the 3/4" hole into the 1/4" vent tube. :eek: :mad: the problem.

So for all ya here's how I finished this thing off temporarily.
I took a 3/4" pvc threaded/barbed elbow and threaded it into the grommet on the tank top and then place 4' of 3/4" heater hose on the barbed side and zip tied the hose to the fill hose. To keep the dirt and crud out (redneck) I used a kitchen faucet aerator nozzle with a screen... Of course the water saver disc was removed for better flow. cookoo
Works purdy darn good except I still can't go wide open fill yet. I will be replacinge the rubber fill hose with an aluminum tube to keep things from squashing down as the current problem seen. Then I will also be brazing a fitting on the fill neck as to keep things contained in the event of a rollover.

Fill time before mod....25 minutes for the front tank.
Fill time after mod.....5 minutes for the front tank. ;Sweet

pafixitman

Reaction score
I read these type of posts and get :confused: .

I cannot go to a big rig pump and "full handle" fill, but I can go to the 4 wheeler pump, lock the handle on full and be good to go. I generally start one tank, then open the other, pour in the additive, wait about 30 - 60 seconds, switch tanks, button up the first one, wait about 60 seconds, return the handle and my reciept prints as I button up the other tank.

I guess the PO mod'd my tank before I got her?

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, did you cehck my previous post? If you want to come down and see my fix just give me a call or PM me. It really is a breeze, and you can go up the street form your house and fill it at the truck isle.

Gunther