tank screen or sock

sassyrel

Reaction score
they fall off and break. there are know for doing both. i must likely will break

did i,,or did i not,,just post the number,,of the part???? if so--cannot people make their own decisions??? ican commented justly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cookoocookoo

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
I have to say ,the shower heads last about 200,000 miles or approx 15 years in all my experiences,thats good use to me for a $23.00 part i have bought about 4 sets of these from ford and never had any issues with them. JMHO..... As a matter of fact i just installed 2 new one's in my 94 3 weeks ago and it is nice to use the rest of the fuel in the tank now!

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I considered doing the fuel hose thing but was leary of the possibility of it crumbling eventually with full immersion. Didn't want to buy a new shower head either as that was what failed in the first place. I eneded up straightening each of the double curves in the pickup tube a little bit and made a 3 layer stainless steel screen sock to clamp onto the end of the pickup tube. Pickup reaches to within 1/4" of the tank bottom when the pickup assembly is clamped in place, verified visually through the fill neck.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Biofarmer, Wow i like that and have never heard of anything like that. That sir is thinking outside of the box;Sweet:thumbsup::sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shower head replaced the "sock" I believe as time went by. All my older trucks have a sock, which basically the pick up tube runs into the end of what for lack of a better word looks like a sock made to fit a duck. The sock is a pourous screen and does little more than some course filtering. Once the fuel level drops below the "heel" of the sock where the pickup tube is, your done. The "shower head" as pictured above is more lick a suction cup that presses against the floor of the trank. Fuel is drawn in through the little notches on the sides. With the sock design, the fuel return spits right on the sock, essentially blasting it clean with regurgitated fuel. The shower head however, can clog more easily, but it will in fact get more fuel out of the tank than the sock will. I had to drop my tank on the 02' Excursion because the shower head got clogged. This happened because I idled the truck while I was filling it with a very low tank. This washed all the sediment that was in the bottom of the tank right over to where the showerhead was due to the fuel draw. If the truck had been off, the sediment would have remained dispursed and it wouldn't have clogged that time. So the leason I learned there was to never let the tank get that low, and to not refill with the engine running if it is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If I was to install a shower head pickup it would be in the front tank. That tank doesn't need to be dropped to work on the sender and fuel pickup. Someday I may just do that tank but never the rear tank. I know I wont be driving my rig another 200,000 miles in my lifetime either... Mel... Where did all the sediment come from in your tank....:dunno About the only thing I have ever found in any of my tanks is the broken pieces of the shower head... No dirt or **** at all.