"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have new olives? If not I have a couple I'd send you if you wanted. My fuel system doesn't use them anymore and Russ sent me some with my return line kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have new olives? If not I have a couple I'd send you if you wanted. My fuel system doesn't use them anymore and Russ sent me some with my return line kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'll message you. Depends on how long good old snail mail will take lol.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the right vacuum line for the max ac door, it's also a great place to buy a tiny T for the ranger vacuum switch mod like I have in Ernest to cut off flow of coolant to the heater core to make your AC even colder in the hottest days.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the right vacuum line for the max ac door, it's also a great place to buy a tiny T for the ranger vacuum switch mod like I have in Ernest to cut off flow of coolant to the heater core to make your AC even colder in the hottest days.

Funny because lots of guys delete those vacuum coolant switches lol. I thought about it before but forgot. Thanks for mentioning it! Might put it in whenever I flush and switch to ELC.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... Apparently the AC doesn't like idling in 90+ degree heat. Good news is... The high pressure blowoff works. Anyone have any information on a high pressure cutoff switch that screws into the R12 High pressure port? AC Still works, just blew a bunch of oil out. I was RIGHT behind the truck so I killed it quick and it seems to be OK.

@catbird7 maybe? I think you were talking about it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@tjsea is the man!

You must be registered for see images attach

Got off to a rough start because the brother in law had brake problems I had to help with but I should have time to attack this tonight.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well FYI O-rings work for a little while in a pinch lol

I put those in 2-3 years ago because the olives were too hard to pick out of the nuts. Frankly I had forgotten about the one on the filter end. I thought I only did the one at the IP. I robbed the feed line off my parts truck and it actually had decent olives on it already! I put the new ones on anyway. I'll put the decent old ones back on the parts truck assembly.

I'll be taking the IP with me for the road trip just in case as a spare. I'm hoping weather tomorrow allows for more progress. We're supposed to get some rain all week but I don't have time to care at this point.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to mess with the vacuum leak since I had time. Pulled the loom back and the little white plastic line was FINE inside the loom. I cut it after the dryrot and put the rubber hose over it with some hylomar. Then I pulled the other piece of line off the actuator and pushed the hose on it. Taped everything up to protect it.

Couldn't figure out why the AC wouldn't work on the test drive... Pulled over and plugged the pressure switch back in LOL seems to be working just fine now!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran into exactly the same thing. Found a piece of vacuum hose the right size that I believe slipped over the tube and onto the actuator.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well FYI O-rings work for a little while in a pinch lol

I put those in 2-3 years ago because the olives were too hard to pick out of the nuts. Frankly I had forgotten about the one on the filter end. I thought I only did the one at the IP. I robbed the feed line off my parts truck and it actually had decent olives on it already! I put the new ones on anyway. I'll put the decent old ones back on the parts truck assembly.

I'll be taking the IP with me for the road trip just in case as a spare. I'm hoping weather tomorrow allows for more progress. We're supposed to get some rain all week but I don't have time to care at this point.
Don't forget the special wrench!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the special wrench!

Honestly I didn't need a special wrench on mine. Although to be fair, I did remove the high idle solenoid at the time.

I blew the money on the OE factory service tool set though so I do have one.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't need a special wrench on mine. Although to be fair, I did remove the high idle solenoid at the time.

I blew the money on the OE factory service tool set though so I do have one.
I had to make mine.

Belt sander and an old, already bent box end 9/16 was all it took.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Relatively productive day today (if I can get the batteries charged enough to start it)

Pulled out the IP to reseal the gear housing. It was sealed with some clear/yellow something so I'm wondering if that's why it was leaking.

Then I got to deal with this mess....

It's been in there longer than I've owned the truck. I just haven't been able to get in there to clean it up. I forgot to take an after picture but it took a good deal of brakleen and several rags, not to mention several attacks with the air hose.

Pulled all the injectors to put new copper washers in. My plan is to take the set from the parts truck with me and have @Thewespaul clean and pop match them. I hope to put them in at his place before I leave and he said it would save time there if I cleaned everything up and put new washers in before I went down. Good thing too. Two of those were horribly carboned up. I was afraid they were going to break off in the head!

Good or bad, every one got some high temp copper anti-seize on the threads before going back in.

Drained and refilled the ZF5. The fluid was pretty nasty. Not sure how well it shows up in the picture. It's pretty brown with a slight red tint.

I pulled out the modified 6.0 harness and finally put the harness from Wes in. Looks so much better. Takes up less room too. Here they are side by side on the driveway.

Also drained the power steering fluid and added a cooler I had kicking around. I'll admit, I was lazy. I just zip tied it to the grille behind this spot.

Now if I can get it to run... There's enough air it's being very temperamental. Apparently either my batteries or starter aren't as good as they used to be. It's sitting on the charger now.