Tail lights out

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't figure this out. Both turn signals work at the rear but I have no tail lights. Checked the filaments on the bulbs and I checked fuses. Just can't figure it out.:dunno

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Start looking at the wiring just under the rear of the bed for the taillights. Over time and with the help of meddling PO's, the harness starts bouncing around and rubbing on things, eventually breaking. Might not take a fuse with it since it's only energized when depressing the brake pedal.

Edit: Not quite sure how I got stuck on the brake bit...had just woke up...

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily so. My headlights worked as well. Their wired separately. IIRC the taillights are the overly small brown wire the harness.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was all sorts of monkied up with a trailer light harness "setup". They were somehow back feeding power to the lights because when I tore out their rats nest is when my lights quit working. Either the light switch burned out and instead of fixing that they wired up that mess or the mess of wiring burned the light switch. Either way the truck was factory wired for trailer lights so none if it makes sense to me.
The wire that runs the taillights tends to burn up as it's a very light gauge wire as well.

Last edited:

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there any resolution to the problem? I'm having the same issue right now.
Brake lights work
Turn signals work
Hazards work
Running tail lights do NOT work

Using a test light I get voltage at the switch, so my only guess is chasing wires...

Any advice from previous people who fixed theirs would be helpful.
Thanks.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your headlite switch. The terminal marked R is the wire for the rear tail lites. R is in the center of the switch.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then the switch is most likely good. Next thing to check would be the connector for the rear light harness, under the bed way at the back. 'Course, don't overlook the obvious, it's possible the dim filaments of both rear bulbs are burned out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle