tach

6.9forddiesel

Goin' Green
Reaction score
hey guys,

i was wondering if it was possible if i could hook up an aftermarket tach on my diesel and how i would if its possible because the tach i have no only works after about 2 g's it will kick in,

thanks,
vince

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Im not sure if im 100% correct but the tach has to be for a diesel engine....I really never knew if there was such a think except the one that comes stock.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autometer and isspro have aftermarket ones for diesels.. i have an autometer one now and it just reads off the alternator..

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the thing about that is.. u have to have the injection pump cover that has the whole in it for tach sensor or that won't work. my truck didn't have the cover with the whole in it so i either had to change out that cover and i didn't want to do that and screw up the timing. so i went with an aftermarket one.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry it didn't click in my head that he already has one.. try cleaning off the sensor in the injection pump cover, if that doesn't help it then i'd get try a new sensor that should fix it.

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
hey guys,

i was wondering if it was possible if i could hook up an aftermarket tach on my diesel and how i would if its possible because the tach i have no only works after about 2 g's it will kick in,

thanks,
vince

Dakota digital sells a device that will take the signal from your OEM
tach sender, and massage it into the equivalent of a coil signal from
a V-8 Gasoline engine. The part # is DSL-1 if I recall correctly. Part
# DSL-2 includes DSL-1, but also adds a sending unit, in case you
don't have or want to use an OEM one. The sending unit needs to
mounted so that the pickup is really, really, *really* close to your
flywheel teeth (but not touching). Something in the range of a
millimeter.

I have been using DSL-2 in my 6.2 Chevy for 6 months or so. Works
great. I drive an aftermarket tach that is fashioned to look like an OEM
tach with the device. The sending unit nut is welded to a hole in the
metal flywheel cover.

Bob

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is all that at?

The sensor is located on the timing gear cover on the drivers side. It looks like a big nut with two wires coming out of it. Alot of times you can fix the tach by just unscrewing it and wiping the grime off of the face of it. Make sure you disconnect it before you start to unscrew it, cause the wires can get pretty tangled if you don't and come loose from the sensor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried one of those cheap ones that work off the alterator and it sucked. So I made my own. Used an optical sensor looking at reflective tape on the flywheel. Pics in the Moose Truck album. Been working for 23 years.

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
I tried one of those cheap ones that work off the alterator and it sucked. So I made my own. Used an optical sensor looking at reflective tape on the flywheel. Pics in the Moose Truck album. Been working for 23 years.

I almost went that way. Reading this...I'm glad I didn't. Can you describe
how it sucked? Was it inconsistent? Intermittent?

Bob

1dieselrunner

Reaction score
I had similar problems. A new Sensor solved the problem. Unfortunately it was $70.00, but it solved the problem.

Larry

1dieselrunner

Reaction score
1dieselrunner

:thumbsup:I had similar problems. A new Sensor solved the problem. Unfortunately it was $70.00, but it solved the problem.

Larry