Tach, and Shifting

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Welocme to the forum..These E4OD trans needs the tach to tell the trans how to operate. Please don't continue to drive the truck like this. You will surely ruin the trans. Now about the injector pump TPS found on the drivers side. It has to function by sending voltage to the computer located behind the drivers side footwell cover. The center wire is the pickup you need to test from. turn the ignition key to the on position engine not running. Now test the voltage at the idle setting. It must be at least .96 volts... sounds like not much but its important. Now advance the throttl wide open. The voltage will go up. Probably up to around 4 volts. If the computer sees 5 volts it will dump the system and you end up in the famous "limp home mode"... Thats just second and reverse. It enough to get you out of danger or off the roda to safety. This voltage usually is set between .96 and 1.2 volts. The 1.2 volts is usually a firmer shift and the .96 is a softer mushy shift..... A good quality digital voltmeter is used for this test voltage.

Is there a way that i can adjust that voltage on my own when i get the Tach Sensor in? So i can play with my shifting firmness?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes there is. Do as I posted about the tps voltage readings with a digital voltmeter.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
He forgot to add that to adjust it you need to loosen the 2 torx head screws and rotate the sensor to change the values.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
i had a similar problem and my fuel heater was shorting out the fuse that was linking into my trans somehow. i sniped the fuel heater wire and replaced the fuse. and it worked. not sure what fuse it is i will look tomorow if someone does not chime in. good luck

RDGiesler

Reaction score
i had a similar problem and my fuel heater was shorting out the fuse that was linking into my trans somehow. i sniped the fuel heater wire and replaced the fuse. and it worked. not sure what fuse it is i will look tomorow if someone does not chime in. good luck
I checked all fuses in side and under hood all were good.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Hmm. seems odd. i will consult a manual and some friends but sorry i am of no use now haha best of luck i will let you know

RDGiesler

Reaction score
i know it is going to be some thing simple but it is frustrating me so much i am considering taking it to the ford dealer.