T444E 4" Downpipe

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a 4" downpipe and straight exhaust on a T444E 2001 Int 4700lLP? Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Will a downpipe for a Ford powerstroke in a pickup work?

Ggg

Reaction score
IIRC the flange on the turbo is a different shape so the PSD down pipe will not work. But you could weld a IH flange onto a PSD down pipe if you can't find a 4" IH down pipe.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The turbo outlet is round with a band clamp. Appears to be like the the Ford 7.3 PSD at least by the pictures.

Ggg

Reaction score
Yes they are both round and both use band clamps. The shape of the "groove" in the band clamp due to the angle of the flange are different. One is 90 degrees and the other is 60 degrees to the pipe.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I spoke with someone at Scheids Diesel and they said the turbo outlet is the same on the 01 T444E as the 01 7.3 PSD in the pickup.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've contemplated doing this with my DT466, but then I wonder-
why do it if I don't know for sure, if it'll help.

I know it's gonna seem like a no-brainer (bigger downpipe-better performance), but think for a moment....how do you know it'll do anything for performance?

I just hate throwin money into a "maybe".

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
I know it's gonna seem like a no-brainer (bigger downpipe-better performance), but think for a moment....how do you know it'll do anything for performance?

Performance? Maybe not and I agree, throwing money into maybes is foolish. But it will surely lower EGT's and that has to be some kind of measured gain no?

How ya been Duane?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Everything I have ever heard about better performance on a turbo motor says less exhaust back pressure. Meaning bigger diameter pipe and less restrictive muffler or no muffler at all. I want to run a 4" downpipe and the 5" straight pipe back to the rear axle with a turndown. With 254" wheelbase the exhaust noise should be lower than with the muffler right behind the cab. Hopefully I will acomplish both lower cab noise and less backpressure. As soon as I try the 4" pickup downpipe I will Post if it fits or not.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Performance? Maybe not and I agree, throwing money into maybes is foolish. But it will surely lower EGT's and that has to be some kind of measured gain no?

How ya been Duane?

Mike, yes I think it will lower EGT's, but I'm not convinced it will provide any performance gains. On a stock M/D truck, EGTs are not a problem, so it would most likely be money wasted.

If he has a modded truck with more fuel than stock, it would help offset EGTs created by extra fuel. The performance gain would be that you could keep your foot in it longer.

I'm likely going to go to a bigger downpipe because I increased my fuel, but it wouldn't help me if my truck was stock.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duke said:
On a stock M/D truck, EGTs are not a problem, so it would most likely be money wasted.

If he has a modded truck with more fuel than stock, it would help offset EGTs created by extra fuel. The performance gain would be that you could keep your foot in it longer.

Makes good sense to me. ;Sweet

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Lower EGT is a result of better flow thru less back pressure. Which has to help performance. It is not just the downpipe but the whole exhaust system that I am talking about. It doesn't make sense to make the exhaust larger while still using the stock restricted downpipe. I am looking to acomplish moving the exhaust back to the rear axle for less cab noise and lower back pressure at the same time. My plan is to run a 4" downpipe into a 5" straight pipe with no muffler back to the rear axle.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
spg,

If you're looking for more HP and torque for it take a look at our TS Performance 444 and 466 HP modules for it. Up to 35% more HP and torque and most folks get MPG too!

Mark @ DPPI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel