T19 only grinds going into 4th gear

kickdheney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been ironing the links out in the truck. Clutch bites real good1-3 and it doesn't seem to be slipping even when hauling 10000 lbs. But it grinds going into 4th every time. Any ideas?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been ironing the links out in the truck. Clutch bites real good1-3 and it doesn't seem to be slipping even when hauling 10000 lbs. But it grinds going into 4th every time. Any ideas?
4th gear syncros are done. time for a trans rebuild or a ZF5 conversion.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to rebuild learn to float between 3rd and 4th. A lot of times if you keep your rpms up when shifting it will go right into 4th even if you haven't completely matched shaft rpms. I'd wait till I had another reason to pull the tranny/engine and rebuild or do a zf swap then.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The synchronizer gets the gear up to speed so it will engage with another when shifting. When they wear out you get a grind.

2 things to get you by. Double clutch going into that gear or no clutch. Both will help once you get the hang of it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double clutching is easy once you get the rhythm down. It should go right into gear without grinding if you do that. That’s what I do with all my old tractors that don’t shift worth a crap.