T04B Rebuild

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't say if thats what you want but I can add this thought.. Be careful buying any parts. Some are unknown junk from China. I understand even the best have been fooled too. Ask this question of typ4. Russ knows lots about building turbos. Also Mel at Conestoga Diesel may be able to help too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trim is a number that describes the area ratio, and you need to know the exducer and inducer diameters to compute it. The larger the trim, the more air the wheel is capable of flowing.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotomaster is still in business up in Canada. I got parts from them to redo the Rotomaster TO4B in my Banks kit while I had the engine apart. It didn't really need much but the small kit, but I had it all balanced before assembly at a local shop. My memory is fuzzy as to details (it was two years ago) but I think the wheels are marked somewhere. Still, withthe numbers on the housings, Roto can probably fix you up, if one of our guys on the board can't.

RotoMaster
http://www.rotomaster.us/
604-888-3826

blackdog76

Reaction score
That's awesome info, thanks! I thought Garrett replaced them years ago.

Rotomaster is still in business up in Canada. I got parts from them to redo the Rotomaster TO4B in my Banks kit while I had the engine apart. It didn't really need much but the small kit, but I had it all balanced before assembly at a local shop. My memory is fuzzy as to details (it was two years ago) but I think the wheels are marked somewhere. Still, withthe numbers on the housings, Roto can probably fix you up, if one of our guys on the board can't.

RotoMaster
http://www.rotomaster.us/
604-888-3826

blackdog76

Reaction score
not having much luck with rotomaster. I've left messages and they don't call me back. Any way to find out what I need from looking at the old wheel and shaft?

blackdog76

Reaction score
I did get a hold of them yesterday after many attempts. The tech on the phone said that they bought the rotomaster name and with the older stuff, they have a lot of problems identifying what people need. The serial tag on my turbo was covered up with paint so I took some goof off and uncovered it. This is in fact a T04B35 turbo 60 1.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is all great news. I hope they have what you need. I might add something to what you want. In your first post you siad you needed a new turbine wheel. All turbos have two completely differant wheels. The inlet sometimes is called the compresser wheel and its made from aluminum material. Then there is the hot side or the exhaust wheel side. Thats made from edodic inconell material and its made with the shaft as part of it. So we are not able to buy just the shaft or wheel. Remember to source the good parts and not the chanese made low quality parts. Some members have tried the cheap parts only to see there turbos ruined in short order. Now if the bearing on the shaft are worn out usually the inlet wheel rubs the aluminim housing. Now you have to machine the housing and wheel to fit. So look carefully at any used turbo for rubs. Now one last item.. Never think you can balance these turbos at home. they spin upwards of 130,000 rpm. At 120,000 rpm they turn 2000 rpm per second. they need to be professionally balanced. I retired from a huge machine shop the size of two football fields. I worked for a power company here in so cal. I was doing balancing on steam turbine rotors that weighed from25 tons to 100 tons. We would get the balance down to2 ozs.:eek: Factory was only telling us we had to make it 4 ozs but we went just that little more. Every spinning item has whats called a criticl rpm speed. Its never the same rpm in differant spinning things. At that criticl rpm things get kinda scarey. Vibration peaks. Stability is at its worst time till the rpm increases or decreases. things tend to happen at this rpm so have your rotating parts balanced for longer safer life.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have new garrett parts for that if you want. The compressor wheels are bigger than the rotomaster and also the RM has a carbon seal that will leak when disturbed. The parts I have are complete new CHRA's . pm for more info. and all the nongated turbos are P-trim turbine as far as the many ive done. There are different compressor sides though.
That cheap ebay one will likely explode. A new quality turbine shaft is anywhere from 150.00 to 210.00. Genuine garrett rebuild kit is 120 ish, dynamic backplate 50 or so. .