Swithing to Synthetics

DMcV

Reaction score
If I switch the engine & Auto transmission to synthetic lube do they have to be flushed prior to filling with the synthetic or just drain and refill ?
What benefit to synthetic lube in Tanny ? Any better performance in shifting ?
I really don't know what any of the advantages are using synthetic lubes... any where to learn more about this ?
Thanks
Dennis

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Synthetic oils are compatible with dino ATF and dino motor oil. I'd flush the tranny only if burnt ATF is in there. Just drain and add. When I had mine rebuilt I insisted on Redline $ynthetic ATF. It's about four times as much as regular ATF. As far as the engine just drain and add. Synthetic oil in the engine gets in to smaller spaces than dino oil does so it may loosen some crud and skew a used oil analysis, but it does give better protection at 2-4 times the price of dino oil. Unless you have an oil bypass filter and plan on extended drain intervals you will be wasting money if using synthetic for a 3 or 4K oil change.

DMcV

Reaction score
hheynow,
Thanks for your reply... I need all the help I can get.
Perhaps when I'm towing my 5th wheel in a hotter climate it would be a good time to use synthetic in the engine (?)

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
There are a few reasons to use synthetics and ways to make sure your getting the most out of it.

To answer your first question do you need to flush. Only if you have a high mileage motor (100K+) or you have not changed the fluids as often as you should have with dino. In cold climates synthetic will be good for start ups and coating the engine with trucks that tend to sit all winter and only get started then idle to keep them in shape. If you want to truely get your moneys worth from a synthetic do Used Oil Analysis to take the guess work out of when the oil is sheared down and the additive package is toast. With a 7.3L you will get much more life from a synthetic than with a 6.0L.

Synthetics will handle the heat of towing better than dino only because they are more stable and actually run cooler because there is less friction to a synthetic oil. ;Sweet

To learn more about synthetics you can research on the internet at many places. I could give you a few links but remember there is not many places to get what most call unbiased facts. There are test results I could link you with from independent labs if you would like they are on the Amsoil site and some will say they are biased because they are from Amsoil's website. If you look at many of the places and read the test results look at the warranties offered by each company and ask questions you should be able to make an informed decision on what will be best for your situation and your pocket book.

If you decide on synthetics give me a shot at saving you some money on it. Even if you don't go synthetic in the engine I can get you a top flight tranny fluid and gear oil for your rig.

Last edited:

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
In the long term you actually save money. In my wife's gasser Z71 we will likely end up saving several hundred dollars a year on oil changes by switching over and in my Cummins we will save a little under $200 a year. The savings is more if you factor in less wear and tear on the engine/transmission and increased fuel economy due to less internal resistance.

Swapped over my Cummins last night and don't plan on changing the fluid for another 15k miles.