Swaping out my heads

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This winter I thought I would pull the heads off a donor motor I have and clean, rub, rebuild, polish, grind, etc, have them ready and replace the heads on my engine without being down for a long time, no hurry up stuff on a weekend sort of thing.

I understand port match the intake but what else do I need to have done or look at?

What all can I do to the intake?
Some one said port and clean up the precups, how?
Should I have new guides installed?
What would ya'll do if you had heads laying if front of you for a month to play with?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So far I think I'm the only person that has really ported the entire hot and cold air and gas path. The precup chambers in the heads are really ruff. I had a custom ball end mill made thats 1.168 in size. Thats about 30 thousands larger than the precup diameter in the heads. They clean up nicely. I also sink the chambers 60 thousands into the heads because Ford needed to clean up the exhaust for EPA so they raised the injectors up out of the chambers 60 thousands. I feel its much too dificult to drop the injector seat area this 60 thousands because your milling blind and you have the injector threads in the head to worry about. These motors can really benifit from cleaning up the ports. They are not like a gasser. They just compress air and the diesel is injected into that hot air in the precup chambers. Port matching is easy to do. Just place the gasket on both the head and mark it. Then place it in the intake or exhaust manifold in the same direction and mark that. Grind to the line and thats about it. Sure there is lots of grinding to be done but thats the fun part for me. I found that doing anything of the precups themselves is counter productive. I cleaned up the insides of them and that was wrong. They have a lip thats there for proper combustion burn. It helps with the mixing of the air and diesel. You can open up the throat but thats really critical to keep them all the same. Any slite differances will cause a bigger or smaller power pulse from that cylinder. Think about a small garden hose and a large garden hose . How much flow can you get from both with the same input of pressure and flow. The exhaust manifold logs are ruff so clean them up too espically the drivers side. You can try to find the inconel exhaust valves but that up for debate. I bought a set from Diesel Direct that are made by Clevite. I called them because they have an Elgin part number on them of E-2001. The engineers couldn't tell me anything about the material that they were made from but they could tell me they are made in Brasil. Big help there. Nobody makes and aftermarket bigger intal or exhaust for these motors so don't trouble yourself looking. You can buy valves with a larger diameter stem so you don't need to install guides. Don't have your cast iron heads valve guides knurled. Thats just crappy cheap work that onlt lasts a short time. Then your into them again and this time you will be adding guides. Typ4 knows the best kind of guid material. Ask him about it. I think it was called Bronzanium and the company is in Vegas Nevada.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you sink the precups .060.

I have a full machine shop to use at will, we have a 42 inch Madison rotory grinder, I have thought I would grind my heads myself to insure only the least amount is removed that is needed.