surging?

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately my truck seems kind of pick up and have kind of a power. I recently did a fuel filter and thought maybe it had something to do with that but it only seems to do it on the front tank. Truck is a 92 7.3 NA

Any help guys? Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air will come out on it's own, but what you need to focus on is keeping the air from getting IN. Most likely, since you say this is a front tank only problem, your fuel pickup tube is rusted through and you have a pin hole in it below a certain fuel level in the tank. Does it do it when the tank is only about 1/4 full? This is a rather common problem.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a fuel filter within the last 1000kms. Also it doesn't do it on the rear...however I JUST noticed a puddle under my truck but it wasn't leaking anything last night. I'm finally home from work and it's a nice day so I'll be able to diagnose it better now.

thanks though guys!!

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for the stupid question, but was it hard to get out(mind you your truck has never seen road salt) You are talking about the pick up tube correct?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front tanks sender is pretty easy to get out. Just have to get under the truck with a screw driver and a hammer and remove the ring that seals the sender to the tank.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was kinda peaking at it the other day when I ran a new brake line from front to rear. Can you buy a "pick up tube" of do you just make it from random tubing? (sorry for all the questions)

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
you dont have to take the sending unit out!! Just lay down under the tank and reach up there where you feel the top of the sending unit. ( youll have to do it all by feel and left handed). kinda akward but can be done. Now locate the fuel line that is toward the front of the tank or toward the motor. Carefully pull the little plastic clip out, then the line will come off. then get a way to seal that connection. maybe a new line or a clamp. But for me it was just a little o-ring that slipped right over the nipple and then the line back on and then the clip.Let me say that this may not be your air leak, but I highly suspect it and it was mine.
good luck

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I just bought a foot of diesel resistant hose and used a few stainless clamps to hold the hose on the pickup. I measured it out and used a brass T on the end of the hose to keep it at the bottom of the tank. Has worked well for some time now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent