Super Hard start after repairs

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seacow i would listen to m.l.s.c because he knows everything and nobody elses help is valid (not). and yes it could be glow plugs thats a issue. you might have several of them out. my truck used to do the same thing that yours is doing. the gp light would come on for about 8 sec and it would fire up for about a sec and die and then you would have to cycle the plugs again and it would start up and run but would run real rough like it would be misfiring on some of the cylenders. after i replaced the bad gp's it did fine and the wts light stayed on longer. so dont rule out the gp's, most of the time when it starts up and runs for a second or two then dies its air in the lines.

jim x 3

1988 F-350 DRW
Reaction score
Sea:
How do I check the FIS? My truck does kick up to high idle after it starts and i give the pedal a little tap.

OK, your FIS is working, so the CTA is probably OK as well. As others have said, you need to concentrate on fuel (and air intrusion) and GPs.

Good luck.

Regards,

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im gonna start with GPs, all but 2 of them are at least 2 years old, i tested them all a month ago and replaced 2 the other may have gone bad since. Has anyone ever used gps from accuratediesel.com, they claim dual element gps? I know only Motorcraft or beru just wondering if anyone has ever used them?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What i dont get if its air intrusion then how come when its not plugged it starts really hard, but this am i plugged it in, and it fired rightup with no stumble? Shouldnt it have stummbled this morning too if it was getting air into it?? Starts hard with no preheat and starts great with preheat? I am at a loss?

Well you're the one who mentioned air intrusion - now after this post of yours I would have to side with Alex and Jtate, it certainly seems like your plugs ain't working quite right. I'd go and check glowplugs connectors on the harness - they tend to get brittle with use and their metal part inside the plastic boot may not make good contact with the glowplug, maybe you disturbed them while changing the return lines?

And Jtate, I'm only speaking from experience - maybe I never had your issue cause the parts I used were better, or maybe it's just cause God protects the stupid, I don't know and don't care, as long as she fires up easy every time I want her to I'm happy :D

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im gonna start with GPs, all but 2 of them are at least 2 years old, i tested them all a month ago and replaced 2 the other may have gone bad since. Has anyone ever used gps from accuratediesel.com, they claim dual element gps? I know only Motorcraft or beru just wondering if anyone has ever used them?
i havent heard of to many people on oilburners using them, but quite a few have used them on FTE'S site. everyboby on that site hasn't had good things to say about them and prefer the motorcrafts. on my 85 i had gp issues from the date of purchase. when i would have hard starts i would check the gp and replace the bad ones. after a couple of weeks more gp issues and i would replace the bad ones. this issued continued time and time again until i replaced them all as a set. after that i havent had gp issues in 2yrs. im not saying for you to go and replace all 8 gp's, but thats what fixed mine. also everybody told me to buy the gp's from the stealership. after calling them to find out i would have to take out a morgage on the house to purchase them, i decided the buy motorcraft/beru plugs from autozone for $7.00 and some change. they have been in there for a year and a half with no issues and a lot cheaper than the stealership.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, dealerships will take two appendages (arm and leg hopefully) for a set of ZD1s or ZD9s - I got my plugs on ebay for $45 shipped, which is like $5 per and $5 shipping. Autozone, I though they discontinued the Ber plugs? I'll have to doublecheck on that with my commercial accounts folks there when I get back from vacation. I know other chain stores carry them, but at $15 a piece (O'Reily price IIRC) it was well worthy to try my luck with ebay...

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as checking the voltage in the gp harness, how does one accomplish this? Just disconect one cap at a time and use multimeter set on voltage, turn the key over to on and read the voltage? Place cap back on and repeat?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Same voltage to all plugs when the relay is closed. How long is the WTS light on? Should be 10-12 sec when 30 degrees outside.

seacow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the WTS is on for about 9 secs and its about 0 degress when i go to start up, when i crank and then reburn the plugs the WTS only stays on for about 2 seconds.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I don't think that the glows are very good. on another truck i was working on, they all tested good but didn't start. Replaced them all with new beru's and no problems anymore.

sassyrel

Reaction score
yah--cause heres what happens--as gps deteriorate--instead of getting hot at the tip--they get hot further back--meaning inside the block!!!! seen it one tooo many times working at the ford dealership--guy would say hard start--id pull em all--check on a batt--(be careful),and 9 times out of ten,they be hot further up the tip--replace them-vrooommm....they would ohm out ok--but they were dying--and im not so hot on the delay burn ones--berus work--