Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

Discussion in 'Diesel Conversion Forum' started by subway, Nov 30, 2015.

1. subway

subway be nice to the admin :D

Well I have not done an update in a while. I found a rebuilt s366 turbo for a good price so I decided to go for it and give it a try.

Even before I pulled the turbo I noticed one of my exhaust manifold bolts broke. When I tore it apart I saw that my gaskets were leaking to. 20180623_162842.jpg 20180623_181839.jpg 20180629_191340.jpg

F350camper and 6.9poweredscout like this.
  2. subway

I had to flip my exhaust manifold to make the turbo fit and trim the manifold itself.

I used some mandrel bent exhaust to make some intercooler piping. I even broke out my old flange tool to make the ends. 20180627_185800.jpg 20180627_202037.jpg

3. subway

I did take some time to clean up the manifold seal surfaces. They were a little rough. Even when I was torquing the manifold to the block I want back over it 4 times with the torque wrench before it settled out. Hopefully I will not have any issues, especially when the darn gasket was 58$ from international. 20180627_204023.jpg 20180629_202920.jpg

laserjock and F350camper like this.
  4. subway

I did get the turbo in and fired it up, everything looks good and no leaks so far. I really wanted to take it for a drive but I don't have an exhaust pipe on it yet to play. Hopefully tomorrow, I can't wait to see how this turbo does.

F350camper likes this.
  5. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

6. 3Kp

3Kp Full Access Member

Looking good there! One of these days I'll work on the next step for mine.

subway likes this.
  7. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

by the looks of your pics of exhaust gaskets there wasn't anything wrong with your old turbo, it just wasn't getting enough exhaust to spin it up to speed.

8. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

So I just spent 2 hours reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am very impressed and completely obsessed with doing this swap now. I’ve already been hunting online for one for sale. You have a lot of ingenuity I don’t think I could’ve over came and I feel pretty competent in the garage. I love the divorced t case and all your brackets look awesome. If you’re still looking for lower rpms ford used a dana 61 for 3.07 gears in the early 80s. You can find them full float too. Dodge used them also in the front end of automatic 1st gen Cummins. I was also thinking you could use a water to air intercooler to make some more room up front and get more air flow to the rad and condenser. I’ve thought about getting one from frozenboost.com. Looks like you got everything sorted out though. If I could find one mated to a od trans, I would start a build thread :). Awesome work man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subway likes this.
  9. subway

No, not at this point, I would love to do compounds but that would be down the road.

I am sure I was leaving some performance on the table but I could hit 17 psi. That is almost identical to Jon's swap with his DT and stock turbo. He could do 18. The stock turbo is sort of an odd ball with a large hot side and a small cold side. I don't remember the exact numbers but the 366 with new gaskets should be a big step up.

9, member: 25075"]

Thanks! I really have no complaints since putting in the overdrive. I can wind it up past 90 now and cruise comfortably at 75 to 80 with no issue. If you do this swap and plan on driving on the highway at all get an overdrive! It just makes it so much more road friendly.