Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well I have not done an update in a while. I found a rebuilt s366 turbo for a good price so I decided to go for it and give it a try.

Even before I pulled the turbo I noticed one of my exhaust manifold bolts broke. When I tore it apart I saw that my gaskets were leaking to.
You must be registered for see images attach

subway

Reaction score
I had to flip my exhaust manifold to make the turbo fit and trim the manifold itself.

I used some mandrel bent exhaust to make some intercooler piping. I even broke out my old flange tool to make the ends.

subway

Reaction score
I did take some time to clean up the manifold seal surfaces. They were a little rough. Even when I was torquing the manifold to the block I want back over it 4 times with the torque wrench before it settled out. Hopefully I will not have any issues, especially when the darn gasket was 58$ from international.

subway

Reaction score
I did get the turbo in and fired it up, everything looks good and no leaks so far. I really wanted to take it for a drive but I don't have an exhaust pipe on it yet to play. Hopefully tomorrow, I can't wait to see how this turbo does.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good there! One of these days I'll work on the next step for mine.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the looks of your pics of exhaust gaskets there wasn't anything wrong with your old turbo, it just wasn't getting enough exhaust to spin it up to speed.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just spent 2 hours reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am very impressed and completely obsessed with doing this swap now. I’ve already been hunting online for one for sale. You have a lot of ingenuity I don’t think I could’ve over came and I feel pretty competent in the garage. I love the divorced t case and all your brackets look awesome. If you’re still looking for lower rpms ford used a dana 61 for 3.07 gears in the early 80s. You can find them full float too. Dodge used them also in the front end of automatic 1st gen Cummins. I was also thinking you could use a water to air intercooler to make some more room up front and get more air flow to the rad and condenser. I’ve thought about getting one from frozenboost.com. Looks like you got everything sorted out though. If I could find one mated to a od trans, I would start a build thread :). Awesome work man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
Planning on a supercharger mod too?

No, not at this point, I would love to do compounds but that would be down the road.

by the looks of your pics of exhaust gaskets there wasn't anything wrong with your old turbo, it just wasn't getting enough exhaust to spin it up to speed.

I am sure I was leaving some performance on the table but I could hit 17 psi. That is almost identical to Jon's swap with his DT and stock turbo. He could do 18. The stock turbo is sort of an odd ball with a large hot side and a small cold side. I don't remember the exact numbers but the 366 with new gaskets should be a big step up.

So I just spent 2 hours reading this entire thread from start to finish. I am very impressed and completely obsessed with doing this swap now. I’ve already been hunting online for one for sale. You have a lot of ingenuity I don’t think I could’ve over came and I feel pretty competent in the garage. I love the divorced t case and all your brackets look awesome. If you’re still looking for lower rpms ford used a dana 61 for 3.07 gears in the early 80s. You can find them full float too. Dodge used them also in the front end of automatic 1st gen Cummins. I was also thinking you could use a water to air intercooler to make some more room up front and get more air flow to the rad and condenser. I’ve thought about getting one from frozenboost.com. Looks like you got everything sorted out though. If I could find one mated to a od trans, I would start a build thread :). Awesome work man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9, member: 25075"]

Thanks! I really have no complaints since putting in the overdrive. I can wind it up past 90 now and cruise comfortably at 75 to 80 with no issue. If you do this swap and plan on driving on the highway at all get an overdrive! It just makes it so much more road friendly.

subway

Reaction score
Well I am coming back around to figure out my low power issue. I did do a leak test on the intercooler system and could not detect any leaks in the piping or front of the intercooler. I could not hear any leaks either.

I am actually down more power since last year. Where I could hit about 17 to 18 psi I have to struggle to get 13 now even under load.

Next I am going to dive I and try checking the valve adjustment.

I also have a MW dt466 pump sitting on my shelf from Heath to try out. hopefully I get some good work time to dive in this evening. The rally is coming up soon!

subway

Reaction score
have ya done a compression test?
No, I tried tonight and I cant get the injector out to try. I will have to get an adapter to use my slide hammer.

I did pull the valve cover and it looks real clean inside. It also had valves way out of spec. The intake should be .012 and the exhaust .021. They seemed like they were both set at around .026 to .028 across the board.

I cant wait to give it a try when I put it together tomorrow if the weather holds!

subway

Reaction score
The engine is back together but I didn't get to fire it yet. Between the rain and improvements "while I am in here" I didn't finish.

Some new fuel line, wire clean up and rebuilding my miss aligned ac compressor bracket. Getting stuff knocked off the list.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the weather holds
I had to laugh at this... This is a big part of why I'm so far behind schedule. It's just not letting up this year.

Some new fuel line, wire clean up and rebuilding my miss aligned ac compressor bracket. Getting stuff knocked off the

You're as bad as me LOL I always try to add "while I'm in there" to my list. Usually end up with stuff I need to redo when I get time and never remember to get back to it...

I hope the valve adjustment helps!

subway

Reaction score
I had to laugh at this... This is a big part of why I'm so far behind schedule. It's just not letting up this year.

yeah a nice pole barn is still in the dreaming stage for me LOL otherwise it is work in the driveway outside like usual.

i do have a real old beat up 2 car garage but it leaks everywhere and is to small to fit my truck so i just use it as a home base for my tools and such.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online